Spammers

Obviously a welcome message but also a description of what this forum is about. Also a few tips about using the forum and associated pages.

Re: Spammers

Postby Teiana on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:36 pm

jsp I think the problem with manually validating is it means someone has to check daily to see if anyone wants in, and still has to have some way of telling a legit person from a spammer.... if people can make posts look 'vaguely legit' they could also easily make a membership application look that way? I don't know the answer...

I wonder if we should have some kind of systems questionnaire to get people in? because a robot or spammer that can fake past a captcha or whatever might have a harder time answering a few direct questions..

or maybe we need a rule that people can't put links in their first 20 posts and anyone trying to do so gets an auto ban... that way the spammers would just fall away and long-standing members could link if they needed to. no idea if that is feasible.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:38 pm

since a spammers usual purpose is to link to something... if by trying to do that they automatically banned themselves they'd die out. you'd have to delete these posts though so they couldn't read how to get around the problem.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jsp_1983 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:28 am

There are a few loops at play here :P

I agree that manual validation may be onerous, and I wouldn't want to place any more work on any one person than may be necessary - it was partly a suggestion to try to encourage ways of looking at the problem.

Captcha may reduce automated bots, but I think the problem here is spam from actual people (from experience, I know that you can buy - very cheaply - people who will spend all day, every day, creating such accounts and spamming on forums with low-quality posts).

Something rule-based might be helpful. As I say, I don't know what your permissions are, as a moderator. Banning signatures for new members would be one suggestion. Perhaps a question that only systems people would know the answer to? As some of the spammers make multiple posts, it may be a case of encouraging members to report spam and removing posts/ members now and again.

As you mention, the forum is quiet, but the spammers appear to have a chunk of recent posts. Aside from LinkedIn (where the Systems Thinking World group has very, very academic discussions), there's nowhere else online to discuss systems. I'd like to be able to encourage a few more people to join here and have somewhere to talk about and ask related questions. I've made a bit of an effort in the past week or two to check in more often and chip in with a bit more discussion, in the hope that others might see some activity and join in.

If there's anything in particular I can do to help, just ask.
jsp_1983

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:30 pm

in the interests of a clean up of this site i intend in the near future to delete anyone who has made less than two posts ever. Legitimate users please note make another post soon to avoid being deleted if you have only ever made 0 or 1 posts. there are a lot of members listed who have only ever made 1 post or none...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:01 pm

Cleaning has been done. Apologies to anyone who got thrown out with the bathwater. :)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Francis on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:22 am

You missed a couple.
Francis

Previous

Return to Welcome!