Spam

Obviously a welcome message but also a description of what this forum is about. Also a few tips about using the forum and associated pages.

Spam

Postby Neill on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:44 pm

The forum was just spammed with 4 spam mails.
The user registered some time ago. Teiana warned me that they looked like a spammer but I had no proof.
Now they just wrote four mails irrelevant to the topic and containing advertising links.
The mails have been edited so that you can see where they were but not the content.
The spammer is banned.
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Re: Spam

Postby Teiana on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:49 pm

you could tell by their web-address. Which is still listed under their name since you have left the posts 'there' but just deleted the content... so they're still getting 'free advertising'. there was proof enough if anyone googled the web address ( i did, just to check, and it was exactly as i suspected) they are/were just spammers...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:01 am

Hello Teiana!

I know that you could tell by there email addresses but I could not. They looked like Google Mail addresses to me.
I also use GoogleMail so I din't see that as a reason to delete them.
Can you please explain to me how I know when a new member is a spammer?

I have deleted both users.
I can not delete the mails because of a bug on the server.
If I delete the postings it will delete the entire thread. This can only be solved once my supplier updates the server software which they are currently not doing.

Sorry!
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:53 am

it was the web address that was the clue. the letters 'wotlk' are not a random collection of letters but stand for 'wrath of the lich king' (ohdear i'm so :ugeek: ) which is the world of warcraft latest version. the word 'gold' after it is because they are selling 'gold' (in game currency) and other services. They aren't actually allowed to sell these things as far as the game is concerned. It's big business though. In world of warcraft there are so many of them they have a system so you can report them instantly at a click ( well, two clicks) - they just have robot advertisers just popping up all the time, sometimes so fast you can hardly report them fast enough. All they do is advertise these services, they aren't real people most of the time just bots trying to get people to be mug enough to hand over real money in exchange for game money or having someone else 'level' their character: but mostly they are probably scams where you don't even GET these services and you wouldn't be able to report them to anyone since what they are doing isn't legal.. (like paying someone to clock the mileage on your car and then whinging because they actually make it higher instead of lower, there isn't a 'crooks guild' to whom you can complain). They are utterly persistant ( given that most of the time they probably are bots isn't surprising) and pop up, multiply and persist like very nasty weeds.
Anyway if a web address has 'wotlk' in it i would be very suspicious. or 'gold' come to that. So both, is a bad thing. Sure, someone could in theory have an address saying 'ilovewotlk' or something, and be genuine, but it's very easy to test - just check out the site in question or email the new member and get them to give some account of themselves ( which a robot can't do, can it) it should be fairly easy to tell a 'real person' if you ask a few simple questions.
Apparently there are more people playing spam2 than living in london. something like ten million players. So proportionally: the number of people/bots trying to scam people and the effort they will go to to do so is huge. And as you can see not just confined to the game.
I don't as a rule go about suggesting people are spammers without some reasonable evidence - i am used to having addresses like 'wotlkgold' and so on popping up attached to insane adverts full of bad grammar and empty promises. so i 'read' 'wotlk' differently to someone who doesn't know what it stands for.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:57 am

i was suspicious about one of them because the name started the same way as the other, as if they had been created by the same person/robot. So if one was dodgy ( as it looked, and turned out to be) the other was very very likely to be also.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Return to Welcome!