Links

Obviously a welcome message but also a description of what this forum is about. Also a few tips about using the forum and associated pages.

Links

Postby Ercesuzan on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:07 pm

Reading through the posts I notice that several people have put useful links in the text. This is very helpful when reading a post but I wonder if it would be a good idea to start maybe three new threads, 1. systems links 2. links to books 3. other links. All links would then be together and easy to find again. Maybe we could allow a sentence for explanation?

This would be helpful if you don't have time to read the link and want to look it up later but don't know where to find it.
All for now, take care
Ercesuzan

Re: Links

Postby Andrea on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:44 pm

I think you will find that people will inevitably post comments on the links, and before you know it, your "pure" thread of links will turn into another discussion. Eventually, it might be a good idea either incorporating a wiki facility within this platform, or having a permanent link somewhere on the front page to an external wiki facility.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Neill on Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:56 pm

Ercezuzan wrote
...a good idea to start maybe three new threads...

Sorry but I agree with Andrea about this. You can try starting such posts but I think they will degenerate (or develop) in to general threads.
On forums similar to this I have found the search function (top right) to be very useful when looking for something you dimly remember.

I also like the idea of a Wiki for saving interesting stuff and have an open source system waiting in the wings.
But let's see how good we are at walking before we run. We can save files in to our posts even now.
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby NeillHog on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:56 pm

So now we have a Wiki!
Andrea has already begun a "links" page there.
Maybe we should also consider moving the "book Club" there as well?
NeillHog
Site Admin

Postby Teiana on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:03 pm

since this thing is searchable you could on a personal level 'tag' posts with links in. Eg, write 'SYSLINK' or 'WEBLINK' or some other made up word in the post, each time you include a link. That way if you wanted to, you could pull out all your linky posts. But i don't think you can get people to do any overall system. I'd rather keep track as i go along anyway, generally if somethings not important enough at the time it probably isn't later, or, someone else will have saved it.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi Teiana!
Sorry - was that a vote for or against?
And could you explain your tagging system in a little more detail? I didn't fully understand.
Sorry
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:44 pm

i was agreeing with you and andrea, neill, that a separate links thread wouldn't really be of great benefit.
However if i wrote 'armadillo' in every thread i put a link in, and er, 'wensleydale' in every thread i put a joke in, well if i wanted to search for all my links or all my jokes, well it would be easy, But it would only work if i picked words that weren't being used for other things. IE, a made up word, or, eg, 'armadillo' which isn't a systems word. i mean, not generally. I am not trying to suggest armadillo's can't be systems thinkers.

I don't expect we could incorporate a general system for links labelling since nobody would ever remember to use it. I was just pointing out that on a personal level, if one wanted to tag ones own posts, to make them easily searchable, one could.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:20 pm

NeillHog wrote:Maybe we should also consider moving the "book Club" there as well?

I certainly think it would be a good idea to have some sort of "reading list" on the wiki. However, not sure whether it is an either/or moving/deleting the book club issue -- it would be good to have both: a place where all the relevant books with regards to systems thinking and practice are listed; and a place where we can discuss them :-)

And I would probably have links at least from the wiki reading list to the thread where that particular book is discussed.

I was also going to say if we could have a permanent link to the wiki from the systems place homepage, but I have just noticed that you have already done that! You sure move fast ;-)
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:04 pm

i can't see that link: am i missing something? oh, wait, you put the address in the header. i get it.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Ercesuzan on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:43 am

Just wondering. Everytime someone added a link could it be put into a links thread. Probably not practical but as I say just wondering!
All for now, take care
Ercesuzan

Next

Return to Welcome!