Links

Obviously a welcome message but also a description of what this forum is about. Also a few tips about using the forum and associated pages.

Re: Links

Postby jim_lewis1 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Ok, the whole point of delicious as I understand it, is that anyone can access anyone else's bookmarks, (you have to specifically choose NOT to share when you bookmark something, it is shared by default)

So, whether you subscribe to whatever the systemsplace thingy scootrider set up or not, if anyone logs in to their own delicious account and searches under tags for 'systemsplace' they will find these items.

I don't know exactly what you were trying to do Neill, so I can't say why it appeared not to work, but what I would recommend you do is either create or use your existing INDIVIDUAL delicious account log in.

Install the delicious plug-in to your browser, and then tag whatever you want to tag using whatever tags you will remember it by.

If it is something you wan to make available to people related to the systems place, just add 'systemsplace' as one of your tags.

I primarily use delicious as a mobile 'favourites' collection, so have rarely if ever looked at other people's related items, but this functionality should be very simple to use as described here.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby jim_lewis1 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:43 pm

OK, on further reflection, I understand what you're trying to do with the creation of the user ID systemsplace, but I'm not sure it offers any benefits, (unless you feel that our collections should not be shared with anyone else?)

By having a subsrciption we can collect links under one shared ID that appears as a collection when we log in with that name, in the same way that your personal collection appears when you log on as an individual.

But given that you typically want to find items related to a specific topic, you can search on that tag

Or anything tagged as related to systemsplace will appear on that tag search, (admittedly this could become unwieldly, but you can tag items you find through this search with your own tags to make them more relevant to you)

That is, you search Delicious tags for the systemsplace tag, look through these items for any relevant to what you're looking for and then tag them youself in your own collection.
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:48 pm

yes the point of having a systemsplace delicious ID was as an alternative to having a dedicated 'links' list in here. The benefit being that then anyone can add the systemsplace on delicious to their delicious contacts and see any links that are there.. add them to their own lists or whatever, easily. If we create a list in here people would then have to bookmark them all themselves manually..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 pm

I guess we could then replaced the link to the Systems Place wiki in the systems place header with the following:

http://delicious.com/tag/systemsplace

and we could then get rid of the links page within the wiki
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:30 pm

that's logical, but it's less important there than it is here: since the wiki is more easily edited ( and by anyone) so links in there can be kept up to date more easily than in here, deleted if out of date, etc. So i'd argue there may be some benefit to keeping some links IN the wiki as well as in delicious.. since in the wiki we can perhaps show HOW some of the links, link. If you see what i mean. Whereas delicious is more of a 'list'.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:55 pm

I'm still struggling to see the necessity, or the benefit of having the systemsplace ID login.

Any link that has the sytemsplace tag will be searchable using that tag.

What advantages does having a shared loging ID give us?
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby richardself on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Maybe through using the sharted login links may be better organised. Rather than having everything to do with Systems Thinking under one generic link we can set-up multiple links under the shared login.

Options;
Everthing to do with systems thinking under one link (very messy)
or
Shared login and hopefully an organised index of system thinking links to relevant information
richardself

Postby Teiana on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:42 pm

it's a hub.

see?

our own individual links may be about all kinds of things, but there will be one 'systemsplace' list which will just be, systems stuff. To which we collectively add all the links which we collect through here: stuff people post up that is worthy of saving a note of where it is, or useful systems sites. We should all be able to sign in to delicious as the systemsplace login mind for it to work, and i don't know how we do that based on how it's been set up so far. Was a general useable id used?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:44 pm

but that's my point, the 'top level' tag would be 'systemsplace', but then links would be differentiatied using eg 'T306', 'T214' etc.

There's no need, or benefit in my view of having this shared login.

Links simply need to have the relevant tags applied, that's the principle behind sharing links through Delicious.
It is no more organised to login to the systemsplace ID, see all the different links, and then differentiate by using the tags, than it is to search using the tags, starting with the systemsplace and then adding extra terms to narrow your search.
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:24 pm

but if you don't have it, where is the list that otherwise would have been in here?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome!