Registration Procedure

Obviously a welcome message but also a description of what this forum is about. Also a few tips about using the forum and associated pages.

Registration Procedure

Postby NeillHog on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Unfortunately, since the inception of The Systems Place, we have had a permanent problem with potential spammers.
Teiana has managed to catch most of them before they could cause any major damage but the danger is always there that one will slip through and ruin things.

I have therefore changed the registration system and all new registrations will have to be pre-approved by me.
This is not the way I wanted to go. I envisioned interested people popping by and making a quick comment.
But it appears that there are enough people with the time and motivation to try and infiltrate this site.
Sorry!
I will try to approve all requests as fast as possible and will guarantee 24 hours except in exceptional circumstances.

I have also "pruned" all suspicious looking addresses from the members list.
If you live in Serbia or Russia and have never posted until now, I may have deactivated you. Sorry!
If I have then please send me a mail explaining my mistake.

I am sorry for any inconvenience.
Neill
NeillHog
Site Admin

Re: Registration Procedure

Postby Teiana on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:01 pm

i think it's normal for sites like this to have someone 'on the door'. I don't think it's a problem. Genuinely interested people are usually easily identifiable from spammers. You can't guarantee to completely stop spammers getting in, but i think it's the right thing to do to have applications 'approved'. Everyone can still read the site: there's no entrance charge or complicated system for who is allowed in or not, we'd all really like lots of genuine new members.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 pm

I switched yesterday to "only with my permission" and am getting 20 requests a day from Spam robots.
I am looking in to how to deal with this as there is no way I have time to check 20 requests a day.
Amazing!
I have been using Google Mail for a few years now and had forgotten about spam.
This is a real pain in the neck.

Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Neill on Mon May 25, 2009 8:33 pm

The situation with spammers is getting worse.
I am now getting so many bogus requests to join that I can no longer read them all.
Sorry but if you want to join us you will need to send me an email to Neill[at]hogarth[dot]de in addition to the normal registration process.
Please write something along the lines of
"Hello I am a real person. Please let me in" and I will approve your application.
Sorry!
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby NeillHog on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:11 pm

It is now possible to register as a new user for the Systems Place without being approved by an administrator,
This is now possible because one of our new users (Mark) is an experienced board administrator and has thought up a great "anti spammer" solution.
Thanks Mark.

It should now be possible to register and start posting.
We will see how long before the spammers are back.

Neill
NeillHog
Site Admin

Postby Mark on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Glad it's working Neil, Just don't tell the spammers and hopfully they won't re-programme their robots to get round it.
Mark

Return to Welcome!