T214 2010 starters

Obviously a welcome message but also a description of what this forum is about. Also a few tips about using the forum and associated pages.

T214 2010 starters

Postby Teiana on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Hello! I just wanted to put up a welcome note for any new T214 starters who find their way here. Please join, and if you need more space in the T214 section i expect we can sort some out. There's still a good few of us ex-T214ers kicking about here, it would be lovely to see new faces along. :)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: T214 2010 starters

Postby sandro on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:43 am

Well! Hello Teiana and all! I am about to start the course, haven't even received the materials yet. Question of days now I guess. I got here because one student that took T214 in 2008 mentioned this forum in a review he wrote for the course description page at the OU official site.

So, let me see if I've understood this properly. Hope you don't mind me asking since total noobie. The T214 forum in here works a bit kinda like the "unofficial fan site" or the "unauthorized" :twisted: version of the ones provided by the university...?? Could that be approximately right?
Then, How does it either complement, enhance or replace the official ones that I can access from my OU student homepage? How has it worked before :?:

Hugs,

Sandro
sandro

Postby Teiana on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:28 am

welcome! please advertise this place to any other T214 students by any means possible. :-)

this place was set up to complement the OU forums. It doesn't replace them and doesn't aim to. It does though, give us a place to talk about stuff in any way we feel comfortable. Some people struggle to post on the official forums because often the forums are too quiet or else the people posting just put up stuff that doesn't quite help..here you can ask questions with worrying it's 'off-topic' or worrying that it's a silly question or whatever. Plus hopefully this place is still here after you finish the course and should hopefully provide a bit of wider context to the OU stuff.. for example our book section or the wiki..

it works any which way you'd like it to.. just stick your head around the corner and suggest stuff, or post things, or whatever.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 am

Hello Sandro !

Welcome to the forum. Glad that you found your way here.
The T214 forum in here works however you would like it to.
Basically a group of us took T214 in 2008 (and Andrea taught it) and we communicated a lot on the official forum.
We all agreed that a forum was a great help in understanding and passing the course.
Then some of us went on and did T306 where the official forums are far less.s fun.
By then we had all been infected by systems and were starting to make more use of the concepts that we had learned so also needed to discuss that.
The result was that we set up this place.
Last year there were a few T214-09 students here so we also talked about that and they all told us that it helped.
So now you have 2 years worth of T214 students here and can maybe tap their experience.

We are not "competition" for the official forums.
If they are the room outside the lecture theater, we are the corner of the canteen.

:-)
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Neill on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 am

Sandro wrote
haven't even received the materials yet

Is the material not on line as pdf files so that you can at least start with that?
Maybe the course page is not open yet. Mine (T307) should open today.
If not, then let me know and I will send you the pdf of block 1 so that you can begin reading that.
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby jim_lewis1 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 am

Welcome Sandro, I hope you find this site useful.

One advantage this forum offers that the OU one can't is direct contact with one of the course authors. He has been forbidden from posting to the official OU forums, but often posts here.

As this site is available to a wider group of people you may find that it is more active than the official forums too.

Good luck with T214, I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 pm

One advantage this forum offers that the OU one can't is direct contact with one of the course authors. He has been forbidden from posting to the official OU forums, but often posts here.

:shock:
Oy, you can't say stuff like that. what are you, his pimp? you can't advertise other people or offer their services.... that's just weird. 'this forum' does not offer direct contact with anyone. People are here or not of their own free will and under no obligation whatsoever to read or reply to posts.... you can't go around promising people things like "direct contact with one of the course authors", it's just utterly not up to you. I'm not 'one of the course authors' but if i was i'd be outraged at a comment like that.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:33 pm

what's more even - trying to look past being outraged about THAT, it's also a misleading comment in terms of the site and the continuation of the site - i am hoping this site will continue to exist while T214 students and anyone doing T306 or it's replacement need it to be here - and that could be years, and none of us are under any obligation whatsoever to be 'still here' - yet that post will be...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:49 pm

ZOO.JPG
ZOO.JPG (58.95 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

What it might be like, if people were obliged to be here and being advertised as such... :?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:53 pm

what's worse is you may put off other people from joining who might think if they did they'd be somehow hauled up and put on show... i have no idea if there are tutors or other people connected with the OU as members here and i don't wish to know.. this is a place to play and relax...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Next

Return to Welcome!