T214 2010 starters

Obviously a welcome message but also a description of what this forum is about. Also a few tips about using the forum and associated pages.

Re: T214 2010 starters

Postby Emma B on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Calm down Teiana :o , the way i read it was Jim was just mentioning that as well as us 'learners' both past and present some 'experts' do pop in from time to time. It took me quite some time to realise this mentioned person was an expert and i wish someone had mentioned it to me earlier so i could look at conversations with that in mind, i.e. think about what theory they were perhaps using to base their arguments on, it made me think more and made it much more interesting.

No one is forced to be here we all come here because we like to, we enjoy sharing and learning in a freindly environment but if we start being rude to each other then no one will come back or people may start to feel alienated- I usually ignore posts where i think someone is being rude/abusive/abrupt/aggressive etc apart form cases where it really really annoys me or i cant see where they got the idea from in an effort to prompt them to explain themselves so i can learn about another way of thinking, which i always find interesting to do. :)
Emma B

Postby Teiana on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 pm

took me quite some time to realise this mentioned person was an expert and i wish someone had mentioned it to me earlier so i could look at conversations with that in mind,

see that's where the danger comes in....

the whole idea of 'expert' is flawed. it's definitely not systemic.

i treat everyone's replies the same - i don't measure their worth based on my perception of how 'well qualified' the poster is. This is why we should really all be anonymous in here...
We're all responsible for making our arguments and ideas stand up to rigorous debate. There are a lot of people who come here (proportionally) who are much better qualified than i am. I don't need them all to line themselves up in order of how well qualified they are to answer a particular question.

But this is another topic entirely..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:46 pm

sandro wrote:So, let me see if I've understood this properly. Hope you don't mind me asking since total noobie. The T214 forum in here works a bit kinda like the "unofficial fan site" or the "unauthorized" :twisted: version of the ones provided by the university...?? Could that be approximately right?
Then, How does it either complement, enhance or replace the official ones that I can access from my OU student homepage? How has it worked before :?:

Hey Sandro!

Welcome to Systemsplace :-)

As you can see, we like to say exactly what we think around here, and that's why I love participating !!

As opposed to the official course site, contributions on Systemsplace have been exclusively populated by individuals who are passionate about systems thinking and practice (yes, that sometimes includes the academics that teach it :shock: ) -- you'll get very little moaning around here just for the sake of being spiteful because for once there is a course that comes along that forces you to think deeply.

We all really care about the subject matter and feel that Systemsplace is where people can surf on each other's enthusiasm even after the various courses have been taught and learnt. I've learnt a huge amount of stuff from people's contributions, and to be honest, sometimes it's the only thing that keeps me motivated in what I do :mrgreen:

so looking forward to your postings :-)
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Neill on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:52 pm

the whole idea of 'expert' is flawed. it's definitely not systemic.

I would agree that an expert can not be an expert because (s)he is "defined" as being am expert. But a person can appear to be an expert because what (s)he says appears to make sense and work in practice.

I would be wary of a society that will not accept the advice based on experience. Experience does not make you right but it maybe reduces the chances of being wrong.
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby llamagirl on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi Sandro

I took T214 last year, and having past T214 students to talk to on systemsplace really helped, especially the encouragement they gave when things got difficult. I hope to be able to do the same for this year's T214 students. I hope you enjoy the course!!
llamagirl

Postby sandro on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:00 am

Well, thanks for the replies. I am possibly starting out from a rather ignoble and lowly point of view, thinking that hearing and communicating with people that share these levels of passion for Systems Thinking could only but help my course grades.

But boy! Then I read around here the posts and the topics and the things said about block 2... "trans-for-ma-tional" :shock: :? spam2! The overtones of the word are hard, deep and profound and almost a tinsy-bit new-agey / spiritual... Hey Can't wait! Although I haven't the faintest idea of what on earth you people talking about :P What have I let myself into?

So it seems then that since I already got the materials at home (by the way) I better crack on with block 1 and try to get a little bit ahead of the official calendar for the course for when the biggie block strikes! Would you say so?

Another question: what is place.wikispaces.com? A bit empty at the moment.
sandro

Postby Mallada on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:52 am

Just thought i would drop you guys a quick hello, i caught sandro's mention of your forum on the OU social forum for T214 and couldnt resist signing up after a quick read around. This year i am studying T214 (about the being) alongside M253 (working in distributed eviroments). Next year (at latest the year after) i will be studying T306 with any luck. All this is towards a degree which is, Bsc (hons) Computing and Systems Practice.

No doubt i will continue some studies with the OU after this as i am enjoying all my courses so far. Not done a great deal on systems thinking yet, however i have read over half of Linked and it is very intriguing. I think i am looking forward to this course more than any of my previous. Anyway hope you have room for one more :D

David
Mallada

Postby Teiana on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:06 am

welcome! But i think this presentation now of T306 is the last one? Better check on that...

Have fun with T214 :)

edit: just looked and it seems theres a 2011 presentation too but that is the last.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Mallada on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Looks like your right, guess i am doing it next year then :) thanks for pointing that out. Wonder what they will replace it with...
Mallada

Postby Neill on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:39 pm

Hello David!
Glad you made it here.
I hope you will stay around to let us know how T214 develops for you.
Mayn of us have done it but it is interesting to watch as a spectator.
Please feel free to ask for advice if you think we can help.
:-)
have fun
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome!