Book club?

Obviously a welcome message but also a description of what this forum is about. Also a few tips about using the forum and associated pages.

Book club?

Postby Andrea on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi Neill -- as the administrator, I was wondering if you could add a new thread at the top level entitled " book club" -- that is, if others think this would be appropriate?

There have been quite a few comments about books from several people e.g. Dave's review below, and it would be great to quote all of these under a single topic, but in a way that any new book would have its own thread so that others could contribute their comments/questions.
Thanks,
Andrea

Dave H wrote:Sort of response to Andrea's message dated 27th October regarding the boook Hidden Connections.

I am not very good at book reviews and it is a fairly difficult book to review so I hope my comments make sense.

It is a follow on to theWeb of Life and builds on some ideas in that book so I wonder if I should have read that first.
Part 1 looks at a theorictical framework covering nature of life, nature of mind and nature of social reality. Part 2 looks at the application of this framework to management of human organisations, economic globalisation, a systemic analysis of issues asoicated with the problems of biotechnology and the state of the world particularly looking at environmental and social problems . There is an epilogue looking the conflict between the rise of global capitalism and the creation of sustainable communities.

I considered Part 1 and the epilogue to be very good though the entuire book has raised many questions in my mind and givem me alot of different insights into a range of issues. Also the epilogue makes you very aware of the conflict between trends.

There a lot of concepts and ideas discussed in the book and I found it heavy going at times trying to understand all the ideas. However it is facinating and there are a number of areas where I would like to go into greater depth with the issues.

I have considered it a very worthwhile read and still studying parts of it.

regards
Dave H
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Re: Book club?

Postby Neill on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:35 pm

By
thread at the top level

you mean a new forum equivalent to "welcome"?
No problem. Just wait for a few views on whether that is a good idea.
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:57 pm

this thread's in the wrong place, it should be in the navel gazing bit, surely? 'welcome' is for messages for new members etc. ?

Book club as a board rather than a thread in social? It would need to get a fair bit of use to make it make sense, otherwise it would really belong in social, and a thread would probably do.

can i suggest rather than a straight 'book club' it's a 'recommendations' board ( or similar) such that it's for recommending any books, journals, audio, video, web-content etc..... so can include all sorts? that would make it more useful, proviso being that it has to be stuff that isn't going to belong in the social bit. (I'm slightly concerned that the social board might be a bit sad if all the books, games etc went elsewhere. I guess Neill can play policeman and move anything that ends up in the wrong place anyway. ) also it would be nice if people include a bit of detail rather than 'just' a link, but i guess that would sort itself out once some reviews were written. Would you have a format/template for them? Eg author, isbn, URL, publisher, year, subject, comments, etc? We can't draw tables in here? or can we. I guess you could make a blank template we could copy and paste and then fill in, maybe. ( isn't sure this would work!) but then i'm sure all the anarchists would sulk that they can't just do it their way. I imagine it would look nice if they all kinda matched. But it might not work.

hmm.

thinking.
:) :geek: :lol:
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:27 pm

[table border="2"][tr]testing[/tr][tr]tabletest [/tr][/table]
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Pottyday on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:09 pm

I agree a recommendations forum would be a good idea for systems related articles and books, but I think that any other recommendations for good books for pleasure (fiction or non systems related) would be better suited to the social forum.
"I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde.
Pottyday

Postby Andrea on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:35 am

I guess what I had in mind is something inspired by the reading club we had within the Systems Department when I first joined:
http://systems.open.ac.uk/page.cfm?page ... urce-study

Every couple of weeks we focused on a reading from an established "systems thinker" and each participant volunteered their opinion on the reading. The whole thing was very non-judgemental, and it was a fantastic way for me to reach out to new areas.

Of course, the setup here could be much more informal and spontaneous, without the regular and directed focus on any particular reading. I would also prefer to stick to books rather than websites and video clips because of their more "permanent" nature i.e. people could still post a comment on Fritjof Capra 1982 "the turning point" even in 2012.

And I would not necessarily just focus on the established "systems thinkers" either. There are many authors out there that actually deal with issues systemically without necessarily using systems vocabulary e.g. Edward de Bono. But I would avoid fiction. We could even present and discuss "anti-systemic" publications e.g. Andrew Keen's "The Cult of the Amateur" which is all the rage at the moment.

The idea behind having a higher level "book club" topic is that people could dedicate individual threads to particular books. We could also standardise the subject line according to: author; date of publication; book title. E.g. Capra, Fritjof (1982). The Turning Point.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Neill on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:29 pm

Book Club now set up.
Now we just need some books.
Maybe you would each like to copy your recommendations across?
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:59 pm

i wish i had something to recommend, but i don't think i have ever read a systems book. odd now, thinking about it, that the set books in T214 weren't systems books.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Return to Welcome!