rich pictures

Systems seems to revolve around diagramming so this forum is designed to allow us to discuss this.

rich pictures

Postby Teiana on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:43 pm

has anyone got any rich pictures we can share? good or bad - bring them in....any 'personal favourites'?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: rich pictures

Postby Neill on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:42 pm

The attached is a simple rich picture which I still like half a year later.
It is about protecting yourself while in the Internet.
eca_6_3.png
eca_6_3.png (123.8 KiB) Viewed 2758 times

On the left are all the unprotected users and on the right the evil hackers.
The users only lose occasionally but when they lose....
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:58 am

In a 2004 paper published in Nature, Jan Born, a neuroscientist at the University of Lübeck, described the following experiment: a group of students was given a tedious task that involved transforming a long list of number strings into a new set of number strings. This required the subjects to apply a painstaking set of algorithms. However, Born had designed the task so that there was an elegant shortcut, which could only be uncovered if the subjects saw the subtle links between the different number sets. When left to their own devices, less than 25 percent of people found the shortcut, even when given several hours to mull over the task. However, when Born allowed people to sleep between experimental trials, they suddenly became much more clever: 59 percent of all participants were able to find the shortcut. Born argues that deep sleep and dreaming "set the stage for the emergence of insight" by allowing us to mentally represent old ideas in new ways.

from
http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/

justification for T214 including 'sleep' in the rich picture process? I think so! :)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:00 am

I hope they ensured that noone discussed the task in the intervening period.

IE Was it sleep, or the subjects breaking up and walking out saying, 'spam2, what a tedious task', 'oh didn't you notice the elegant shortcut?'
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Andrea on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:42 pm

Crazy isn't it? When you have an intractable problem that's worrying you, you can't sleep and stay awake all night thinking through the various permutations, when in fact, the best possible thing you can do is to sleep on it and let the subconscious come up with a way forward. over the last couple of months I've been frantically working through day and night trying to put together a funding proposal for this project with Amerindians in Guyana. Then, one night, I collapsed from utter exhaustion and ended up having an amazing conversation with Barack Obama -- he turned out to be a really nice guy and gave me lots of tips on the proposal. the proposal was finalised a couple of days later, ahead of schedule. If we get the funding, I'll send him a box of chocolates :-)
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby corinal14 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 am

Goethe was once strolling on a narrow path in Weimar.As luck would have it, he met with a critic who was hostile to him. Both of them stopped, staring at each other.Then the critic said: “I will never make way for a fool.”“But I will.” With that Goethe retreated aside.
corinal14

Return to Diagramming