imaging software, drawing programs and online applications

Systems seems to revolve around diagramming so this forum is designed to allow us to discuss this.

imaging software, drawing programs and online applications

Postby Teiana on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:45 pm

thought we could have a thread about this: though some people might want separate threads for some applications.

I use MS Paint for drawing on the laptop - basic but works.. the upside is it is readily available for most people using windows but the downside for me seems to be the canvas size, can't see much on the page and can't always seem to move things about properly. It's also not very easy to resize the pictures...

i have had a go at dabbleboard online and that seems to be good but again, has its limits, particularly that you can only delete either a) everything or b) whole 'parts' you have drawn, you can't draw a line and then rub out half of it....

what software do you use if you are digitally creating pictures or adapting them: what are its pros and cons...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: imaging software, drawing programs and online applications

Postby jim_lewis1 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:19 am

I find that using a screen grabbing software greatly increases the flexibility of other applications.

Rather than having to print out from MS Paint for example, to insert an image into word, I can simply get it looking OK on-screen, then grab it and drop it into a word document.

I might not even save the grab, just the resulting Word document, (or Powerpoint, etc.)

I use EasyCapture

it's free, try it:

http://www.xydownload.com/easycapture/
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Karen on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:15 am

I use Dia - as recommended by Neill - for drawing, I like the way you can attach the text and arrows to each other so that it is easy to move things around.

I also use bubbl.us for mind maps - very easy to use and to move things around

Otherwise I use power point to create drawings and then I cut and paste them into a word doc.

Also I recently bought a tablet which came with Power Presenter RE programme which I can use for drawing Rich Pictures and other diagrams and then save as a Jpeg for insertion to word docs.

Karen
B120 - 2007/8, T214 - 2008, BU130 - 2008/09, T306 - 2009, B203 - 2009/10, B201 - 2010, B301 - 2011
Karen

Postby Neill on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:52 pm

I use Dia for everything but rich pictures.
I still think it is great software which produces clear drawings very easily.
As Karen mentioned you can "pull" things around and the arrows follow automatically.

For rich pictures I have had to accept that a pencil and digital camera are a good way to go - but still dream of a A4 drawing tablet.
For quick sketches I like dabbleboard.com
and for mindmaps I love mindmeister.com but remember that the diagrams are not "OU" conform and you may lose points for a missing bubble :-)

Have fun
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Andrea on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:18 pm

Just came across http://diagrammr.com/

haven't had time to play with it yet, but the idea sounds good, especially for someone like me who needs to use voice recognition software :D
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby jim_lewis1 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:06 pm

i think there is the germ of a good idea here, but it needs modifying to improve it.

I'm not sure how that would handle anything other than fairly simple structures.

I don't see how you can 'backstep' either. If you get something in the wrong place or want to delete something.

I think you would need to have a very clear idea of what your final diagram would look like as revising it in here seems impossible.
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Neill on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:03 pm

I tried it and it failed twice.
I think the idea is flawed. If you can find the language to explain it clearly and exactly as it is then you can diagram it as well.
Like once you have your root definition you are well on the way to a suggestion for improvement.
Really good would be something that took
"Well I sort of think that maybe a few people, but of course not you, don't really not get why we didn't try that and so most people are no longer interested in stopping doing it - or at least not with Doreen"
and made that in to a diagram :-)

Once I have sorted out what the person above is talking about enough to understand it and present it in simple english then I no longer need a diagram

Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby jim_lewis1 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:17 am

...but that rather overlooks two important purposes of diagramming, to explore situaitons with and communicate your understanding to other people.

Although I'm not sure this resource addresses those very well either!
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Andrea on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Jim, Neill -- Thanks for the feedback on this. I can understand the limitations, and I certainly think we are a long way from decent online diagramming tools.

My particular interest in this area though stems from supporting students with disabilities. For example, we occasionally have blind students taking systems courses where visual modelling is a real challenge. So I am always scouting around for technologies that will aid the translation from verbal to visual models.

For a blind student, this new tool might be a useful start, but I will certainly refer them to both your perspectives on this (and anybody else that would like to chip in).
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Andrea on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Took me about five minutes to develop this sign graphs:
http://diagrammr.com/edit?key=diFMXXJXRkb

admittedly, I already knew its content, but it's by far the fastest sign graph I have ever produced with my voice recognition software :-)
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Next

Return to Diagramming