imaging software, drawing programs and online applications

Systems seems to revolve around diagramming so this forum is designed to allow us to discuss this.

Re: imaging software, drawing programs and online applications

Postby Andrea on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:09 am

Teiana wrote:how do i get it to all appear on the page and not half off it?

click on the "change size" hyperlink at the bottom of the diagram. Unfortunately, there's no way of manually moving the diagram components around to improve clarity, although the order of the items in the "text column" on the right hand side seems to have an effect on the distribution of components (but I still haven't figured out exactly how this works)
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Andrea on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:13 am

jim_lewis1 wrote:were the 'ability to read' and 'readiness to read' arrows wrongly labelled or is it just that the -ve and +ve signs are close to each other making it hard to tell which is associated with which arrow?

I corrected some relationships as a result of Teiana's feedback (and have been tweaking the diagram as I "reread it" and clarify its meaning -- compared to what I was modelling in my head). But the positioning of the signs are clearly a problem when you have lots of criss-crossing relationships. Once again, this is a problem with not being able to determine the positioning of components. I think this limits the usefulness of the diagramming tool to a small number of components and relationships -- which may not be such a bad thing.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Andrea on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:22 am

Teiana wrote:you probably need to replace the word 'png' in the link with 'edit'. Or something. Your link has 'edit' in but mine has 'png'. I'm suspecting you can't edit mine as png?

you're right:
http://diagrammr.com/edit?key=d1SiZoITvjH

I suspect though that one would need to work on the diagrams asynchronously, although this wouldn't be such a big problem if you told people that you were about to edit something in, for example, in a Skype chat

what would you call this diagramming technique anyway? We're certainly not developing a multiple cause diagram :?
Maybe an "association diagram"? (N.b. just made up the name!)
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:27 am

hmm i was thinking of it as a narrative diagram or storytelling one...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:33 am

but association might be more accurate
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:52 pm

'association' might be available, but it's pretty close to 'affinity' which we've just covered in T840, (sort of like systems map crossed with a mind map without the links).

Maybe association would confuse people familiar with affinity diagrams.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:29 pm

are you going to start a thread to show us an affinity diagram then, or aren't they useful?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:19 pm

There's a few online.

it's just a way to organise related concepts, as I say a bit like a mind-map, but a bit easier to read as like objects, (according to your or a group's categories), are listed inside a bounding category. (a bit like in systems maps).

However, you're not as limited in your categories as a systems map would be.

I think it could a useful step towards systems diagrams which I always struggle to draw.

Some info here

http://www.mitre.org/work/sepo/toolkits ... grams.html
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Previous

Return to Diagramming