OU Diagramming conventions

Systems seems to revolve around diagramming so this forum is designed to allow us to discuss this.

Re: OU Diagramming conventions

Postby Teiana on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:03 pm

i don't think it's ok for tutors to make mistakes if that could cost us marks. if we failed because we got misleading information that could be a whole year of our lives wasted.

does your eternal optimism ever cause gangs of people to leap out at you and beat you up with cushions or something?

"have fun" "thud, thud thud, thud, thud"...

:)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:33 pm

does your eternal optimism ever cause gangs of people to leap out at you and beat you up with cushions or something?

Never happened yet.
and your eternal depression? What effect does that have on those you know?
I really don't think any one is going to fail a course because a tutor takes a point off them wrongly.
But that is just me and my eternal optimism :-)

Still not up to page 85 yet :cry:
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby jim_lewis1 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:35 am

The reference was:

T552 Appx A p.71.

The versions I have of T552 don't have an appendix.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Neill on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:22 pm

Hello Jim!

Despite my eternal optimism, I find the deduction of a point or points to be unfair in this case.
My take on the situation is that you can be expected to know what is given in the course and also what is freely available.
Being expected to know details that are not freely available falls outside my definition of acceptable.

Within my company there is an internal Intranet, which obviously none of you can see.
It would be wrong of me to deduct "points" from an outsider because he did not follow the rules set down in this Intranet.

I would be interested to hear Andrea's opinions on this.

Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Andrea on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:05 pm

I guess my overriding concern is that we do not have the perspective of the tutor in this conversation -- so we are only speculating on what may have happened based on the partial information that Jim has provided. There may be some extremely valid reasons for her comments and/or marks deduction that we are not aware of.

So I would encourage Jim to get back to her tutor for further clarification. If a genuine mistake was made, then I wouldn't be too hung up on the marks lost. Generally, I think most tutors overlook quite a few problems within TMA answers and/or give people the benefit of the doubt. It is often the case that when marked TMAs come to us for some sort of dispute, we usually come up with a much lower mark than the tutor (because we are forced to go through the TMA with a much higher level of intensity than the 30 minute/1 hour that is usually expected for tutors to take to mark each TMA).

What I do think is important though, is that a constructive dialogue is initiated with the tutor about this. I recognise that it does take a certain openness of mind. Without this, learning (on either side) will never take place.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Previous

Return to Diagramming