Spray Diagram

Systems seems to revolve around diagramming so this forum is designed to allow us to discuss this.

Spray Diagram

Postby Neill on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 pm

Is a spray diagram a systems diagram according to T306?
Or is it a "nice diagram but not a systems diagram"
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Re: Spray Diagram

Postby Teiana on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:32 pm

um not sure what the official line is, but i think 'they're in'.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:15 am

definitely in, check the T552 resource, it's the first diagram type described:

http://systems.open.ac.uk/materials/t552/index.htm
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Neill on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:51 am

Thank you Jim!
Glad that is clarified.
Thanks for the free tutoring.
I hope I can help you some time
Neill
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby Andrea on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Neill wrote:Is a spray diagram a systems diagram according to T306?
Or is it a "nice diagram but not a systems diagram"

not sure I see it this way i.e. whether a diagramming technique is either "in" or "out" in terms of systems practice and thinking. Any diagramming technique is a form of visual modelling and communication, and clearly there are some systemic advantages to visual as compared to verbal modelling and communication (e.g. emphasis on relational rather than linear associations between objects and processes). Having said that, some diagramming techniques are better able at exposing the systemic nature of a complex situation than others. So, there are obvious advantages and disadvantages in using the spray diagramming technique. The challenge for a systems practitioner is to be able to use the appropriate technique in the right sequence and/or for revealing a particular aspect of a situation.

But knowing you Neill, and your instrumental nature :roll: , your question is probably more about "will I get good marks if I use a spray diagram in my T306 project and/or exam?" ;-) The answer to that is related to the above paragraph: are you applying the technique within the appropriate context? And have you executed the technique according to the "drawing and labelling" rules we have established?
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Neill on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:12 pm

Hello Andrea!
Thank you for your answer.
Strangely I agree with you on both counts.
Any diagram, picture, waving the hands around or whatever that "helps" is a useful systems tool.
In my job I do all that stuff and consider myself a better systems practitioner for it.

But as you also point out, my current (short term) aim is not to be a good systems practitioner but rather "prove" that I am a good systems practitioner by getting full marks in the exam. And my experience to date says that the markers are going to give me more marks for the "correct" diagrams than something I invent.

The problem is not Neill but rather a system that (having spent 2 years teaching me systems) thinks it can test me on it in a 3 hour written exam.
But that is the way the game is played.
:-)
Neill
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Return to Diagramming