Capturing a situation that span a long time in Rich Picture

Systems seems to revolve around diagramming so this forum is designed to allow us to discuss this.

Re: Capturing a situation that span a long time in Rich Picture

Postby Andrea on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:18 am

Where are you on the rich picture? Remember that it's your perspective that is presented here and a symbol to communicate this should be included. It's difficult to interpret the meaning of the rich picture without associated text. Although your rich picture seems to represent quite a lot of the complexity, for me the key would be to see how well you can verbally describe what is going on within the rich picture. Crucially, I would be looking out for how you feel about the situation.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby jamesWtc on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:10 am

Andrea wrote:Where are you on the rich picture? Remember that it's your perspective that is presented here and a symbol to communicate this should be included.
Crucially, I would be looking out for how you feel about the situation.

I would be somewhere in the corner, perhaps as a stick man wearing sunglasses, observing the CSA as a disinterested individual.

As a disinterested individual to the case, it is difficult to include my feeling in the rich picture. I am a non-UK residence, I don't pay taxes in UK, and I am not a lone parents nor am I a child whose parents are divorced. All I have is reading the case study and represent them in rich picture.

It's difficult to interpret the meaning of the rich picture without associated text. Although your rich picture seems to represent quite a lot of the complexity, for me the key would be to see how well you can verbally describe what is going on within the rich picture.

I received a similar remarks in course forum too. I think rich picture is for my own purpose of understanding, no? Someone else who's reading my rich picture certainly don't know what is going on in my mind, even if he/she read the same case, same text. I have got questions like why is such and such, why is this person position further from the building, etc., but for me it doesn't really matter much as have them in my memory and I can relate.

So, is rich picture (without descriptions) is meant to be shared? If I put some descriptions to my rich picture, will those questions just go away?
jamesWtc

Postby Selwyn157 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:02 pm

[quote="Andrea"][quote="jamesWtc"]

That, for me, reveals the power of rich pictures, where the images that you draw are not only an exploration of the complex situation but also a window into your emotional state at the time of drawing.

Apologies in advance as I may wander off this topic.My first serious rich picture had the grim reaper in it complete with scythe and cloak, essentially tracking time between diagnosis and death , dealing with the NHS system of dealing with continuing health care issues as to whether we had to sell my mothers house to enable her to be cared for and there being a lot of uncertainty as to how long this care and what type would be needed for.

This formed the basis of my "mess" rich picture and one hell of a lot of anger was in it also, I'm now revisiting this as ive my deferred eca to put in by the 14th April, I've also got better nmemories of the ECA revision weekend just before my mother finally passed away. a brilliant weekend - a fascinating lecture on Antartica and good beer also !!

Im puting together the framework - looking at the concepts - would this rich picture I wonder be a valid example where I could point to an insight ( maybe more) where I could point out how diagramming this really opened my perspective and allowed a shift to multi ple perspectives also, even possibly bringing in later diagrams to illustrate how through a vast control model construction of very many inputs all these only fed out to 3 possible outcomes - and the one unavoidable showstopper which would render all a waste of time - no longer applicable. :(

I found it impossible to work on these things immediately after and thought I would be ok now having reached a measure of dispassionate observation.

So why do my feelings still catch me unaware and I find reasons to look at something else.... :o

So the reason for the post, on reflection that rich picture is Sooooooo charged emotionally for me that it will take a long time to lose its impact - however nothing will detract from the light bulb moment I had on the weekend revision when it all clicked - frightening !!

Ive not stopped talking in work about systems thinking - I was told today I've a 3 month secondment to asset control - ( Part of our ITIL Control group for the account ) to have a nose around - also Im slated to go on to a "Green belt practioner" lean six Sigma course.

I'm hoping to pass this and join the level 3 systems course in october - however I have also subscribed to the new magazine out - building a model HMS Victory a 4.5 ft x 2.5 foot high wooden model. Building in some rest and recreation from the next hurdle.

Selwyn Davies
Selwyn157

Postby Teiana on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:25 pm

So why do my feelings still catch me unaware and I find reasons to look at something else....

i don't know but it's important.

today i reacted badly to a forum post online somewhere - someone posted something totally innocuous and i instantly flared up in anger - i had thought of that/posted that first - how dare they! I didn't actually react online to it, i made myself just shut the page down because i knew i was being stupid but the negative reaction was still there - and i keep catching myself trying to duck out of dealing with things like that, it's somehow easier to skirt around the issue rather than face up to it and address why i feel the way i do. Why am i so threatened? My feelings catch me out all the time.. and i can't fathom out what i need to do to process it...

maybe i need a sign graph or something..

or a kick up the :shock:

i spoke to a friend today whose mother had just died(she died yesterday evening), he was just so considerate of everyones feelings and needs, he really is an angel, even when he's caught in a bad situation, he puts other people first. I feel very proud that he thinks of me as a friend and rather embarrassed that i'm such a hopeless human being, most of the time. I need to do better.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:36 am

I've considered building one of those boats too, but the one advertised at the moment needs 120 issues to complete, at £4 an issue, (or is it £5?), spending 500 quid on a model boat is not something I can quite bring myself to do, (although I did do the 'real robots' one a few years ago, slightly cheaper, but I still spent around £400 on the blimmin' thing, which I hardly used and threw out a bit later).

Our company uses lean six sigma, and I'm sure that in the right situation it's a useful tool. I don't think it is the right tool to use in our organisation though, or at least it seems to displace any suggestions that there might be alternative approaches of more relevance to the situation.
I think with your wider systems awareness you'll be more sensitive to selecting the right tool for the job as opposed to trying to make six sigma solve problems it's not capable of.

I can't remember if it was Checkland or Beer that said, (i'm paraphrasing), 'consultants trained in a particular method go around with one screwdriver looking for the right screw, whereas life usually presents a variety of problems requiring a range of tools'. A lot of skill lies in selecting the correct one.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Selwyn157 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:43 pm

re although I did do the 'real robots' one a few years ago, slightly cheaper, but I still spent around £400 on the blimmin' thing, which I hardly used and threw out a bit later :lol:

Snap, My daughter lost interest, ( she was 10) they didnt send all the bits and I had to chase all the time....still got it all in the garage - ony built the main "bot" didnt bother with the football etc - isnt there a lesson there for me? reflecting over the last few days yup it is a lot of money - i've been thinking that will fund another OU Course......I could also fund a lot of chartered boat fishing trips at £50 a day trip....cant see " management" letting me go to sea every weekend though......

sel
Selwyn157

Postby Selwyn157 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 pm

maybe i need a sign graph or something..

:) possibly that sign graph should say " Chablis - lots of it - this way.....bring glass...." lets get socially befused and confuddled !! :? :D
Selwyn157

Postby jim_lewis1 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:11 am

you bring the chablis, i'll bring the befuddlement!
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Previous

Return to Diagramming