participatory hypermedia

Systems seems to revolve around diagramming so this forum is designed to allow us to discuss this.

participatory hypermedia

Postby Andrea on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:41 am

in another thread ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=635 ), some of us explored a range of visualisation tools. I've recently come across prezi ( http://prezi.com/ ), and it's the closest I've come to finding a user-friendly hypermedia tool. I combined a prezi slideshow with a screenr recording in this exploration of a hand drawn rich picture:

https://cobra.viewscreencasts.com/24b3b ... 33ddc06a3f

a slightly more sophisticated recording of a presentation can be found here (I was able to embed my system viability YouTube presentation, pictures, etc):

https://cobra.viewscreencasts.com/a6052 ... ad6b6a204f

unfortunately, the frame capture rate makes the transition between slides awkward -- things are much smoother if the presentation is viewed directly in prezi (see http://prezi.com/user/ogjizuem_imt/ ), although there is no sound - I hope they introduce a sound recording option soon :-)

I can really see myself developing a range of diagrams directly in prezi, and possibly embedding a vast range of visual, even video, material.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Re: participatory hypermedia

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:04 am

Very Interesting!

you could do bedtime stories with that.

When i looked at the rich picture and the explanation of what you were going to do, i expected that you were going to talk about the drawing. Which then wasn't what happened at all. Apart from the beginning when you said 'this is my perspective', the rest of it was talking about their situation, not about your representation of it. i'm not trying to imply rightness or wrongness it was just curious that it didn't match what i expected to happen. What i mean is though, once you had mentioned that it was your drawing, after that, you could just as easily have been using photographs, because you weren't talking about the picture, but about the situation. does that make sense? i did like the picture though and i happen to think that that style of presenting information ie, someone talking over slides/drawings is a very effective way of getting information across.

Is it just that when we did T214 we talked about what the picture showed* because we were learning about them, but once we have learned about them we're supposed to talk about the things behind it and not the picture any more?

or did you just do it that way because there was only a little tiny amount of time to do the talking part?

*what i mean by this is statements like 'this picture shows....that i think this issue is central to the situation ( because that's where i drew it) or that the people in this picture have been drawn acting independently rather than all together which shows that i think ... blah blah blah... about their communication....' That sort of stuff.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 am

the second one, with andrea on webcam is very very hard to watch, because every time he moves, i have to look to see what he is looking at, because he is looking away, and not obviously at me or the slides, it is almost impossibly distracting to think about the slides if there is a person moving about also. i think i can only watch a person talking or the slides, but both the person talking wins out because they move. and it's very odd, i think the webcam would have to be moved so it looked like the audience was being talked to.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:29 am

i just watched the second one all the way through now, where there is the swot analysis i wondered about, how what is being done here is potentially creating models for things which can be used in other locations or on a wider scale... that seems to me to be an 'opportunity' or benefit... on several scales itself, from the learning process of using the 'hypermedia' to the presentation of information, to the interaction with the community, to the implementation of stuff...to the wider dissemination of ideas.. etc..

what i mean is that the thing itself is serving two benefits one of whatever it is doing and two, of being a way of producing more models of things which would then evolve to support more things. No sorry i'm not explaining myself well at all, but perhaps someone gets it.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:46 am

i just watched the prezi presentation on how to create a good prezi presentation and it does look like an ideal thing for using with a rich picture ( and other diagrams) because of the way you can show how each part relates to the other and zoom in and out on different areas..there's obviously some learning curve involved in figuring it out so there's a narrative flow between all the elements.. i'm disappointed that you have to pay to make it private though.. that means presumeably that if i try and learn how to use it everyone would be able to see all the mistakes..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:31 pm

did you see all the mistakes i made learning to use prezi?

Actually it's pretty straightforward, but honestly, noones looking at your mistakes!
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Neill on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:52 am

Strange.
This post was ongoing and talking about Prezi.
And then one of our (Japanese) students came in to the company and showed the results of his masters thesis using Prezi.
spam2!
When you see one of these presentations on the "big screen" it is really impressive.
And yes I can really see a rich picture being superbly presented with this tool.

The only "problem" is when you have to click back through the presentation to answer a question. As the presentation swoops and turns you start to get motion sickness. I am sure there is an answer to this problem but other than that the system can be awesome.

Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Return to Diagramming