dear diary.

For anything that is not really to do with Systems - or at least so off topic as not to fit anywhere else.

dear diary.

Postby Teiana on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:42 pm

31st jan 09.
One week to go until T306. Trying to sort out my filing system out of sheer terror - i saw how much paperwork T214 created and i'm desperate to at least start in a sense of order even if it descends rapidly to chaos. Determined not to start T306 until next week even though i am itching to get going with it. I am concerned that if i start early i will get a false sense of security that i am ahead, and actually fall behind. Once i get going though i need to try and get ahead.. since i need to make some hours up in february that i will lose in march when Y163 starts.
Still i feel as if there is something i should be doing in preparation. I am hoping to get my T214 stuff all filed away properly and in an ideal world that would mean consolidating some of it, throwing some stuff out and extracting whatever may be useful in the onwards studying.... i did rescue my 'diagramming' folder and put it with the T306 stuff. There's more i'd like to do including making some use of the mindmeister thing and the wiki, but i haven't quite sussed out what precisely yet.
Had a genius brainwave about my project last week but knew the feeling was too good to be true so decided to sit on it overnight, of course once the euphoria wore off i realised it probably wouldn't work anyway. Still i have an embryonic idea of a direction i might want to go in, even if it's not yet plausible as a project. Still terrified about the whole project idea and convinced that day 2 of the course will be about as far as i get before i have a blazing row with my tutor and they give up on me and i storm out in protest: i will not and cannot ( as i see it now) do the project in the form which appears to be being suggested. So if they cannot show me a way to pass T306 without doing the project i'm in big trouble and should quit immediately. I am hanging in there for now in the hope that a) the project itself can be adapted to suit what i would want to do with it or b) someone will come up with a way i can do it 'their way' and not be absolutely suicidal over it.

Ho hum.
At least the nights are getting lighter. I shall need to start doing some exercise along with T306. Must build that into the study 'routine'. <says someone who's idea of 'routine' is pretty random, really>
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: dear diary.

Postby Neill on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:30 am

Good to see that you are also thinking about the project.
I am now up to version 2.0

Originally wanted to do about how to motivate middle aged employees but am now thinking about how to provide high speed internet to rural communities.
Probably end up actually doing version 4.3
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:14 pm

4th Feb 09

I had hoped to be further on by now. I had a vision that the laundry would be done, and all the filing, and the housework, and i'd be sitting around tomorrow ready to get going on T306. Sadly this isn't the case.
I have found an empty aluminium case which will do for now to store all the T306 stuff in, and i have put in it the big plastic folder and some blank paper and some folders that i emptied T214 stuff out of, and it's kind of all ready to go. I also had a brainwave about making a whiteboard type chart for forum post checking - i shall write on it what time i check forums, emails etc, and then i will hopefully be able to train myself out of checking every five minutes.

There was something else i meant to do and it's gone clean out of my head. It wasn't finding the calculator, but it was something like that. What have i forgotten?

Oh i also created a folder in googledocs and a blank document into which to paste my forum posts from T306 should i feel the need to - since the firstclass thing doesn't seem to be searchable properly i get the impression once stuff is a couple of days old it will get very lost. Of course i probably won't remember to copy them in there, but i thought it was a good idea.

oh! i know, i have to find my electronic timer. I shall write that here so i remember <find timer!>.
That's to help me schedule study breaks so i don't get distracted.

<rummages in box on desk for timer but only finds a broken set of headphones, a wireless mouse with no batteries and a Buzz Lightyear Pez dispenser. >

That's really mysterious i wonder where it is.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:31 pm

finally! searched everywhere, it was under the pianomonster in a magazine holder i used to store sheet music in. Right. That's one thing sorted.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:42 am

5th Feb 09 - 23:39 p.m.

Rats. it's nearly tomorrow.
I said i was going to start T306 on friday. Now it's twenty minutes to friday and frankly, i wish i wasn't. Is there some way i can get out of this?
<hunts for eurobillions ticket>
19 minutes.
Ohdear. Maybe i should wait and start on saturday. i don't feel ready.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:51 pm

Dear Teinana!
This is your diary speaking: A promise is a promise. You promised me that you were going to begin today and now it is today.
So sit down, open the books and spend 50 minutes "learning". After that take 10 minutes off to answer this mail, go outside or whatever.
The beginning really is the worst. And 50 minutes is nothing. It is not even a decent film or a meal out.
Please do not write about any excuses, any reasons, any ...
We agreed that if Earth was not hit by a meteorite, you would start today.
So - I'll hear from you in 50 minutes with 50 minutes of studying done!

:-)
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 pm

oh. That might have worked if i had been here when you posted it. I didn't see it until right this minute. I have sorted the T306 stuff into a pile by my bed and was planning to do some today, but hadn't actually started. I was just thinking i might go and do some before dinner when i saw this message: so i shall take my 50 minutes between 16:10 and 17:00. ok?

I know you're right about the first bit being the worst: i'm just worried i'll get past the first bit, and then pat myself on the back for having started and come to a grinding halt.

ok... i am going...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:10 pm

well, i started. i did 54 minutes: more later after dinner (it's roast chicken, i can smell it's nearly ready).
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:42 pm

Diary to Teiana!
54 minutes! That ways 4 more than we agreed. Great! Or did you sneak a look at a forum? :oops:
And more later. Just try for another 50 minutes.
I think it is reforming alcoholics who are told "just one day at a time".

So welcome to students anonymous.
Always aim for the next 50 minutes.

Look forward to hearing from you after you are finished

Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Just be glad that over-whelming as the CSA study might be, you haven't suffered at their hands.

I think this has an ominous ring about it when we consider it's aims and reach and then look at the governments intended ID database project.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Next

Return to Social Forum