T307

For anything that is not really to do with Systems - or at least so off topic as not to fit anywhere else.

T307

Postby Neill on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:34 am

I paid the money last night so in only three weeks it will be time to get back to studying.
What I am really looking forward to in this course is not doing an exam.
T306 was the first exam that I have done in years and was so depressing because it exams have nothing to do with real life.

I know that Andrea disparagingly refers to T307 as a sort of "environmental light" course but I am also looking forward to doing a bit more engineering and less navel gazing after two years of systems - although I am quite proud of the DipSysPrac(Open) that I am apparently soon to receive and am certainly a better manager after the two courses.

Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Re: T307

Postby Teiana on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:02 pm

I am also looking forward to doing a bit more engineering and less navel gazing after two years of systems

where do we line up to put money on you doing a lot more 'navel gazing' than you intend? :-)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:50 am

I found that I enjoyed T211 more than T307, (T211 is the partner course for the diploma in design and innovation). In simple terms T211 is more about the doing than the thinking of design while T307 is quite theoretical. You will receive the T211 DVD as part of the materials for T307 and if you're itching to do something while you wait for the T307 stuff to come through you could have a look at an excerpt from T211 on openLearn.

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=2830

I think Andrea's criticism is a little harsh, whilst T307 does try to spell out the importance of sustainable approaches to design, I think it manages to do so without being preachy, which would probably alienate people who just want to learn about design.

There's enough in there to pique the curiosity of people interested in Environmental isses, but not so much as to indicate an overt agenda from the OU, (even if there might be one!)

The greenest option is just to stop manufacturing anything, but obviously a design course that suggested that would not be much use to anyone.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Andrea on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:57 pm

jim_lewis1 wrote: The greenest option is just to stop manufacturing anything, but obviously a design course that suggested that would not be much use to anyone.

Oh dear, you two sure know how to wave a red rag :twisted:

Can't resist :-)

Actually think there are massive opportunities out there for design approaches that are symobiotic to life rather than the predominantly destructive practices currently dominating. Life isn't a zero-sum game -- I think we can find ways of designing both products and society in a way which increases the availability of natural resources rather than the current binge without any foresight for the future. If Amerindians managed to do it in the Amazon (their interventions over 12,000 years actually increased overall biodiversity and productivity) why can't we with all our "advanced" knowledge and technology?
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:28 pm

why don't they just engineer plants to grow into useful shapes. then you could just cut off the thing you needed, use it, chuck it in the compost heap.. etc..

Or make everything out of edible cellolose type stuff that can be shredded, made into soup, and disposed of that way.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby tomshort on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Well it looks like you might be able to 'grow' a computer soon!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8452196.stm

Tom.
tomshort

Postby Andrea on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Neill wrote: I am also looking forward to doing a bit more engineering and less navel gazing after two years of systems

Neill, I know you're the kind of guy that could sell creativity by the bucket load, but the following film coming out in Germany on 18 March looks really inspiring:

http://www.energyautonomy.org/index.php ... 29&clang=1

When you look at this stuff, at least for me, it makes me so excited to be alive at this moment in time! :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see the English version. Maybe you could tell us if the actual film is as good as the hype surrounding it :-)

Anyway, I hope you keep us posted on your design project in T307.....
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby jim_lewis1 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:47 am

On the subject of design projects. If you or anyone else is looking for inspiration, I just came across this website which aims to link businesses to inventors and vice versa.

www.yet2.com

It might be a useful place to start when thinking about projects and also gives an indication of the kind of format that design briefs can be in.
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Andrea on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:06 pm

I've just read the following article:
http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_a ... ustry.html

and looked at the company's website:
http://www.riversimple.com/

It really brings home the point that sustainability won't be achieved by an exclusive focus on improving physical technologies -- it's also the social technologies that need to be radically changed.

I wonder if T307 engages students in designing both physical AND social technologies in order to progress towards sustainability?
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Well it's touched on. There's some analysis of alternatives to things like owning a washing machine, compared to leasing clothing, and a fair amount on the implications of low impact housing on the lifestyles of the occupants, (exploring to what extent being environmentally aware means you choose a low impact house, or that living in a low impact development leads you to lead a more environmentally aware lifestyle).

this sort of social design, (as opposed to simple product, process or architectural design), is highlighted as the only real solution in the long term, requiring a wholesale reevaluation of what we do and why in our modern lifestyle, how sustainable it is, and what alternatives could look like, and the role of designers to get us there.
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Next

Return to Social Forum