Internet Speed

For anything that is not really to do with Systems - or at least so off topic as not to fit anywhere else.

Internet Speed

Postby Neill on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:05 am

Elsewhere Teiana wrote
just speed tested my internet and i have a .24Mb download speed. What's 20000? is that 20 Mb? or 20Kb?

If it really says .24MB then that would be 240KB which is not so fast.
Just to be sure that we are talking about the same thing here go to
http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
and let us know what that says.

Just as important as the speed is the ping time
This is how long a signal you send out takes to come back (remember Hunt for Red October).
http://www.123myip.co.uk/ping/
If this is slow then real time applications, and especially VoIP telephoning will not work well

Either way i don't know how internet works

Most people don't, but then a lot of people don't know how electricity works and still make great coffee with an electric machine.
The days are gone when anyone can understand everything in deepest detail. I don't let it worry me any more.
I think it is more important to have a grasp of the overview and "what can it do for us" rather than the "which bit triggers which packet to reach which node".

- they claim some numbers when they try and sell you stuff but the numbers never match up to what happens.

I think there needs to be some correlation between claim and reality. But if you look in your contract, it will say up to a certain speed.
This is because the actual speed is dependent on the current usage. Lots of people on line means it needs sharing a bit thinner.

I'm interested in what the broadbandspeedchecker says for your connection.
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Re: Internet Speed

Postby Teiana on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:03 am

not so fast.

not so fast? the flintstones had faster broadband than we do...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:09 am

downl = 136Kbps, upl = 369Kbps right now, but - he's online gaming over the connection at the moment on another machine so it's probably not an accurate overall picture. I don't get how your number was like 20000 - i mean am i measuring wrong? how is it yours isn't even in the same ballpark?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Dave H on Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Not sure if this fits here or somewhere else.

In the UK Ofcom, the telecoms regulator, has recently started a campaign to get more realistic speeds quoted in the advertised up to speeds. The hope is that in due course the actual speed and advertised speed will be similar.

Ofcom are also considering what information consumers need about their Internet connection and should this information be different for citizens. Apart from what information is required there is the problem of how it should be presented so that consumers can understand it and make realistic comparisons between the different packages. One way is to say that a particular speed is suitable for certain applications and a different speed is suitable for other applications. If this approach is adopted how do you link it to things like the cost, the reliability of the connection, and customer support/service to the speed. Indeed are these the items the consumer is interested in or are they interested in something else and does Joe Public really understand what they mean and are they important in deciding which Internet connectivity to purchase.
Dave H

Postby Neill on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:35 pm

Teiana: You need to speedtest when no one else is using any bandwidth otherwise the result is meaningless.

yours isn't even in the same ballpark?

Many people "out in the sticks" still have 500kb/s connections here in Bavaria but the government is supporting a programme to get every one up to 1MB/s.
The EU suggests that the baseline should be 2MB/s but has not put money in to it yet.

The town we live in has about 3500 inhabitants and we have 16MB/s connections through the telephone line and 32MB/s through the cable television lines.
The surrounding villages have 3MB/s. The speed drops off the further from the central "box" you go when you use the copper telephone lines.

I am part owner of a company who supplies rural areas with 9MB/s via directional antennas on the surrounding mountains.
I have a 20MB/s connection from that company "just for fun".
The advantage of our system is that it does not degrade with distance so we can supply "any one" with 9MB/s.

Neill
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby Neill on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi Dave,
Ofcom are also considering what information consumers need about their Internet connection and should this information be different for citizens.

Good to hear. People get really excited when they hear numbers like 10MB/s but rarely ask what use it is.
To be able to use the speed, you need something at the other end that can actually push the files you want at that speed.
And how often do you "do" big downloads?

I think the ping is a number that is important but often overlooked.
Normally you are working interactively so it is very important that when you send something the answer comes back as quick as possible.
This is vitally important when gaming or telephoning across your connection.

Neill
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby true one on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:17 am

It is a good information about internet speed.........
Like the same way , i check my internet speed everyday..........both downloading & uploading speed through this site www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test
My speed test results are,
upload speed:0.52 kbps
download speed:1.96 kbps
It has the best & accurate results for my internet speed test!!!!
true one

Return to Social Forum