on being an OU student...

For anything that is not really to do with Systems - or at least so off topic as not to fit anywhere else.

on being an OU student...

Postby Andrea on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:08 am

Absolutely hilarious tale of being an OU student: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/18 ... ob_pgpdip/

It's all so true!!
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Re: on being an OU student...

Postby jim_lewis1 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Nicely observed piece, yes I can relate to pretty much every aspect of that critique. Thanks for posting, I've put it on the forum for my MBA course full of newbies to the OU, so hopefully this should help them come to terms with their choice!
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:46 pm

i didn't laugh much, but i did like the comments about the bizarre cover pictures on the course books.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Pottyday on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Hee, hee, some really good observations in there. I particularly liked the 'battling the inner student', this sums up my approach fairly well.
"I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde.
Pottyday

Postby Teiana on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:09 pm

lol. i'm currently beating my inner student into submission with an entire packet of double chocolate cadbury's finger biscuits, in the hope that she will surrender and peacefully resign herself to writing this assignment..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:01 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14547880

Among universities only, students at Brighton and Sussex Medical School were the happiest, with an overall satisfaction rate of 95%.

Cambridge University was second with 94% of students happy overall.

The private Buckingham University, the Open University (which is listed as England), Oxford, St Andrews and St Mary's University College Belfast, all had satisfaction rates of 93%.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:04 pm

the thing is, i think OU students are more likely to be there through choice, and therefore probably on balance happier, than average brick uni students, many of whom will have gone to university through parent pressure, or because they can't get work, or because they don't know what they want to do and think it will be something to fill the time, or because they want to avoid having to start full time work
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Can I say something outrageous? I think the OU shouldn't be in this ranking. It's like comparing coconuts and apples.

In a conventional university, if you hate what you're doing and your teachers are crap, you rarely drop out. That was exactly my situation -- I absolutely hated my first two years at King's in London. But I had no choice. The alternative would have been to be an unqualified jobseeker (worst would have been facing the wrath of mum and dad :shock: ). Also, the teaching was rubbish, but I had a great social life ;)

At the OU, some courses have a 50% dropout rate.

Only students that are "in active study" are interviewed for the survey. If, on the other hand, you randomly surveyed a proportion of students that started a course (including those that dropped out), rather than students in active study, you would get a radically different statistic.

I'm not saying that the OU is crap. We just shouldn't be included within this ranking. A fairer comparison would be with surveys undertaken only with part-time, distance-taught students.

I think all these 18-year-olds thinking that they're going to get a learning experience comparable to Westminster/Oxford/Cambridge when they enroll for an OU course will get a bit of a rude shock....
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:29 pm

I think all these 18-year-olds thinking that they're going to get a learning experience comparable to Westminster/Oxford/Cambridge when they enroll for an OU course will get a bit of a rude shock....

nah i think they know it's different. i agree though that taking the dropouts out of the equation doesn't really make for fair maths, i hadn't really thought about that when i read the article. I used to work in a shop, and they used to measure the level of customer satisfaction the same way, ie, based on the people who came back. The really unhappy customers or those who didn't even bother walking in the door, never seem to show up on the statistics. It would be interesting to see the happy rating if you included all the people who looked, then thought better of it, as well as the dropouts and successes. But i guess that is unmeasureable.

i don't even know what the dropout rate is for oxbridge students. or whether it's fair not to call people resitting dropouts - if you stick at it rather than get the bus home maybe you should be counted in the dropout rate. it is Easier to quit the OU, you just don't bother to do stuff. To quit a conventional uni takes effort, so perhaps it wouldn't ever be fair to compare.. hmmm.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:55 am

I agree it will be a very different experience. If theyr'e smart, the regular unis will cotton on to the need/opportunity to offer part-time/distance learners some form of pastoral care/social envt to support these learners. Sort of outsourcing the theoretical stuff but still involved in the personal development and social aspects.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Next

Return to Social Forum