What do you think about the OU MBA?

For anything that is not really to do with Systems - or at least so off topic as not to fit anywhere else.

What do you think about the OU MBA?

Postby jamesWtc on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:43 pm

The subject line is self-explanatory.

I'm planning to do my MBA through OU. But my friend said it's not worth it... coz it's not top ranked, and nowhere near a prestige MBA.

Oh yeah... please avoid going into the debate about the learning process and such :D . Give your opinion about the public perception in corporate world or how well it is regarded in business entities (given so many junk MBA nowadays).
jamesWtc

Re: What do you think about the OU MBA?

Postby jim_lewis1 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:11 pm

I think your friend is speaking from a position of ignorance. The rankings only include full-time courses, so the OU course does not appear at all, it is however the only MBA to be triple accredited, see the MBA page for more info.

That so many coroporations choose to send their employees through the programe is proably the best testament to the perceived value, but it is true that some MBA schools carry more prestige.

In the case of such schools the main challenge is getting onto the course in the first place, obviously something you can avoid going the OU route.

I would carefully consider what purpose you want completing the MBA to fulfill and then assess whether the OU MBA meets these criteria.

I'm currently doing the first of the three parts necessary in the MBA programme, although I have already completed the second section as modules I am using to complete the MEng can also count toards the MBA, (Tech Man).

I would say the materials are good and comprehensive, although I am not happy about the move from printed materials to much more reliance on electronic presentation. I find it makes the experience even more incoherent, constantly switching sources rather than maintaining a flow through a course book. Not everyone perceives this issue though, especially those new to OU study.

There are other distance learning MBAs out there, but I would say the real choice is either distance learning with the OU, or full-time attendance with someone else. You would get better networking and teambuilding opportunities with the latter, so if that's important to you that could be the deciding factor. Obviously an intensive year means you get it over and done with quicker than the 2 1/2yr minimum with the OU, although you won't be earning during that period, again, something to think about.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby jamesWtc on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:35 am

Glad to hear that you're doing OU MBA (Tech Mgmt).

I'm planning to do the same MBA next year. How was it?
jamesWtc

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:00 am

It probably depends on how much you 'enjoy' management or want to learn about all the various aspects involved in management.

I found the technical modules I completed for the MEng, (T840 and T846), which I will use as my part 2 for the MBA to be very interesting and absorbing. They have direct relevance to my current work practice.

The first stage module, B716, covers all the basics of division of labour, management and motivation of people, finance, marketing, operations and project mgmt. As a result it covers a lot of ground quickly, but still needs to go into some depth. I think this is probably the most demanding part of the programme.

Probably as reflection of how much material it needs to cover there is no component dealing with what is the wider purpose of business or any examination of environmental issues.

I suppose if these are areas of concern to people you're expected to find other routes to such information, but I feel that given the precipitous state of our economy and the social impacts of the banking crisis, along with the growing concern regarding the finite limits of the earth's resources and it's ability to support us that this omission begins to look a bit glaring.

In other words, the MBA will give you a very nuts and bolts, mechanistic view of how to run a business, but no deeper reflection on what the wider impacts of business are, or what responsibility business leaders should recognise to the wider society in which they operate.

Before I got started in the MBA I did pick up a book called 'The Green MBA', which the author says she wrote in response to the lack that she perceived in the MBA programmes she was aware of.

Obviously with the OU you can choose to do modules with this focus, (I can recommend T862), but I was surprised that the OU hadn't incorporated something on these issues into the core modules.

Systems thinking is covered, (somewhat superficially), in T840, but I suspect for most people on that module the ideas will not have been given a chance to resonate deeply before moving on to the next module.
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby sandy7 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 am

What about the placements if we are doing MBA from a top rank college?
full time MBA programs
sandy7

Postby jim_lewis1 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:23 am

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you assuming that other programmes offer placements? I'm not sure that all do.

Obviously this can be attractive if you are able to do such a course.

The main attraction for many people of all OU study is being able to work whilst doing it.

With respect to the MBA this means that you are able to base your MBA study on your current work situation.

This is advantageous to you and your employer, (who may help finance your MBA as a consequence), but if you're looking at the MBA as a vehicle to trying other employers or sectors the OU MBA may not be the best option.
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby sandy7 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:42 am

What are the top ranked colleges in USA? Can we do online MBA?
sandy7

Postby sandy7 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:01 am

I think online MBA is good but not as good as 1 year MBA . What say?
sandy7

Postby sandy7 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:20 am

The fee structure of 1 year MBA is quite high.
sandy7

Postby jeny123verma on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:48 am

I think OU MBA has great scope. It opens up new realm and opportunities. But it is very important to pursue degree from a good college. If you can go to college having Thunderbird laureate partnership, I think it would be best option as those are very good MBA schools.
jeny123verma

Return to Social Forum