occupy universities.....

For anything that is not really to do with Systems - or at least so off topic as not to fit anywhere else.

occupy universities.....

Postby Andrea on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Lots of "occupy" movements happening all over the place at the moment, and its spread to universities, with some pretty brutal responses:

http://www.memefest.org/en/memeblog/201 ... john-pike/

The deanery at my local uni, Royal Holloway, has been occupied for two weeks now, and the Dean has threatened to call in the police.

At the OU, there is a petition to stop the devastating cuts which will have a major impact on our students: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22316

In response, our management have sent all OU staff an e-mail asking for donations so that we can subsidise some Openings courses!

Many people don't know whether to laugh or cry. This is from our local Universities and Colleges Union:

We received some interesting comments from some of you about the missive sent out on Thursday called "The Big Give" asking OU staff to donate to financial support for Openings. We rather liked the following reply from one of our AL regional reps:-

"My reply, once I had got over the initial shock, was Good heavens. Is it the 1st of April already?
Can some wealthy people be approached to "match the donations" of our employer to our ever-decreasing salaries perhaps?"

Another use for "The Big Give" email was suggested by a UCU member from another branch, which was to send it to your MP with a few appropriate comments about what the funding cuts are doing to our university and its mission. This isn't a bad idea unless your MP happens to be one of those who thinks that if the poor and undereducated want access to Higher Education they should indeed be dependent on charity.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Re: occupy universities.....

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:02 pm

i'm not against sit-ins as such, but i find it tragic and soul-destroying to live in a world where grown adults have nothing better they feel they could be doing. It really seems like such a waste.
Why can't they put all the people who are sitting around complaining on a treadmill-bike-generator system, have them make some electricity, sell it abroad, and use that money to fund the things they were complaining weren't getting done?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:48 pm

esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:52 pm

i'd print my response to this

"The fees for the course, which prepare those without the necessary qualifications for a degree or further education course, are rising from £195 to £625 next September."

but it really wasn't polite.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:58 pm

and this bit's just ridiculous.. "Millionaire entrepreneur Sir Alec Reed and OU's pro vice-chancellor, Lord Haskins, said they will match any staff donations."

if they're a millionaire, why don't they just make the donations.

i did two 'openings' courses, one when i started, and one as a refresher halfway through my degree. Both were excellent, and the first one in particular meant everything in terms of my actually doing the systems courses, i wouldn't be here now if i hadn't done it.

they should really be halving the cost of them not increasing it. To encourage more people to get started. Similarly to how superstores put loss leaders (is that the term?) in front of the store eg a big pile of something at cost price, or a loss, to encourage people to go into the store...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:14 pm

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16157522 :

The English Collective of Prostitutes, which runs a helpline from its base in London, said the number of calls it receives from students had at least doubled in the past year.

Sarah Walker from the organisation has seen a steady increase in calls from students over the past 10 years, but said her group had received an unprecedented number of calls since the government's announcement that universities in England could charge tuition fees of up to £9,000 a year from 2012.

"They [ministers] know that the cuts they're making are driving women into things like sex work. It's a survival strategy so we would hold the government responsible for that."
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:51 pm

mmm i saw that in the news, nearly posted it here but i had to go out..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:03 am

http://www8.open.ac.uk/about/giving/new ... s-students

An OU-wide appeal for donations to support Openings students received over £21,000 from members of OU’s staff and the volunteer community. In addition, a donation of £100,000 towards the project was granted by the Open University Students Educational Trust (OUSET).
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Return to Social Forum