high speed rail line

For anything that is not really to do with Systems - or at least so off topic as not to fit anywhere else.

high speed rail line

Postby Teiana on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:49 am

i'm just so angry about this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16478954
where are they getting 17bn from for a high speed rail line, if we're so short of money?
The rest of the rail system is already prohibitively expensive for most of the population. So i can't understand who will benefit from this, at all. It just scares me that they want to irreversibly carve up the countryside just so the politicians can feel as if they can be remembered for something. I think it's wrong.
what do they mean, by saying it is the only way to cope with overcrowding? trains have a capacity and they ought to be full, or they're less useful overall. They ought never to be over-full since that would clearly be very dangerous. If more people want to travel than fit on the trains surely the long term solution is to reduce their 'need' for travel? When they built the M25 they said it would take the pressure off london routes but where are the empty roads the M25 ought to have produced?

everything is hopeless. the government argue that they want us to take more responsibility and be empowered to deal with the small stuff, but they disempower us completely by doing stuff like this which just makes me feel utterly hopeless. I don't care about putting my recycling out or whatever because in the end it's pointless, the 'powers-that-be' can always find a reason to justify whatever decisions they want to make regardless of what i think. It's pointless getting out of bed even, because the world is just being destroyed around me regardless. I couldn't stop the channel tunnel (another mind-bogglingly useless piece of infrastructure brought in by some politician who wanted a landmark on their watch) and i can't stop this. And don't tell me i can if i just sign up to some protest website, because that is useless, these things are always organised by people who are just arguing to protect their own back garden.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: high speed rail line

Postby Teiana on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:42 pm

just caught a moment of someone on the radio discussing this and she said that of course they'd insist the government consulted local communities about their environmental effects and make compromises where necessary but she seemed to be completely missing the point that the government know perfectly well they will be expected to make some so they will build some leeway into the plan, ie, say they want to do some outrageous things they don't want to do anyway, just for the purpose of being able to be seen to back down on them and then be allowed to go ahead with the things they wanted to do in the first place. which are still bad, but because they look less bad than their first suggestion, they'll get away with it. It is just like pricing in shops, of course the boots i bought yesterday oughtn't to have been £29.99 but, because they have written on the label RRP £59.99, the boots look reasonable at £29.99 because the suggested higher price has created an anchor in my brain causing me not to realise the lower price is still high. the government will do the exact same thing with this rail line.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:30 pm

We took the train to Italy this Christmas. The "fast" Eurostar trains from London to Paris, and then from Milan to Naples cost us £600 return (two adults and two kids). The "slow" train from Paris to Milan cost us £120 return. We had no choice for the other two routes since the fast trains had now permanently replaced the slow ones.

Both fast trains were full of business people -- I think they're the only ones able to easily take on the high fares.

on the other hand, trains are still the lesser of the two evils if you want to travel: http://www.seat61.com/CO2flights.htm

but I'm not sure that we need high-speed though - we had much more fun on the slow train :-).
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 am

i'm all for trains - i just resent the fact that already it's too expensive to actually go anywhere on them. There was an episode of Poirot that i watched on DVD recently, where they had some clue about something in devon, and grabbing a train timetable, realised they could make the midnight train, taxied off to the station and nipped down to devon, back the next day, then back down there 48 hours later to solve the case.. it was all very simple and automatic. nobody would take that kind of thing lightly these days. You'd have to have booked online two weeks earlier, and then have paid by credit card, and only be able to use certain trains at certain times, and be charged almost as much again if you wanted to change anything.. and even after all that, you'd not be certain you'd been sold the cheapest ticket for the journey, since due to some weird freaky mystical science voodoo whatnot, english trains are priced in a way that Nobody, at all, understands, even the people who organise it.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Return to Social Forum