T889

For anything that is not really to do with Systems - or at least so off topic as not to fit anywhere else.

T889

Postby jsp_1983 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 am

Anybody familiar with this module? I don't think I've asked this before...
jsp_1983

Re: T889

Postby Teiana on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:54 am

you did. september 17th? just type T889 into the search box at the top. Don't think anyone's done it though. Tell us about it...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 pm

T889? Never heard of it.
What is it?
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby jsp_1983 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:06 pm

I thought I was being half-baked by asking again... Thought it might have been something done by those in the same sphere of study.

It's Problem-Solving and Improvement: quality and other approaches. It took my interest because of the problem-solving aspect and seeing that it encompasses some systemsy techniques and ideas. It seems to be two thirds qualitative, one third quantitative. It's the one third that's being a bit of a ballache at the moment. Minitab is the package of choice for statistical analysis, but it has the worst documentation, whilst the accompanying Computer Exercises book is no better: both are 'monkey see, monkey do' texts.

That said, there's hopefully a lot of room for enjoying the qualitative aspect and the EMA project.

I'm very disappointed that there are no tutorials or even Elluminate sessions, whilst the module forum is dead, aside from tens of "hello" posts. A very expensive set of textbooks for £1300...!
jsp_1983

Postby Neill on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:55 pm

no tutorials or even Elluminate sessions, whilst the module forum is dead,

That was my experience on most courses.
There were a few exceptions (T214 and T307) but in both cases this was driven by the course director or a member of the course team.
Normally it seems that not a lot has changed since I received a pack of books and a few discs back in 1991.
I am still convinced that distance learning can get a lot out of the Internet but I never saw it really happening during my time at the OU.
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby jsp_1983 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:59 am

The x1xx module forums seem to be more active and tutor-involved, but I assume that's down to the 'noob' nature of those modules and perhaps an eagerness to jump in. My first 'proper' module was T214, where there was quite a bit of activity by students and tutors. Aside from an avalanche of 'hello' threads, the difference between T889 and T211 and T214 is stark. I understand that the OU now wants to do away with tutor group forums, too?

It's unfortunate, but I feel very much as if I'm now just buying a piece of paper from the OU; an exchange of cash so they can provide me with some books and some assessment, with occasional access to tutors who give off the impression of being hassled when approached for help...

I got the impression that the Systems department was slightly apart from the rest of the OU! Perhaps that was down to being lucky enough to have an excellent tutor, though.
jsp_1983

Postby Teiana on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:25 pm

how many tutors are there for the whole course? on big courses with lots of tutors it may be possible to swap if you've got a dud. obviously if a course only has say 2 tutors you may have to stick with it.
the quality of the tutor makes or breaks a course for the student experience.i have had some utterly amazing tutors and some i really didn't gel with at all. I tended to take the approach that they had all come into my life for a reason and to teach me something beyond the course materials, from their life, perspective, their way of dealing with things, their experiences, interests, or failings!

if a tutor seems hassled when approached for help give them a second chance since the first time it might just have been bad timing. trouble is we have to accept that tutors don't work to the same hours we do ( or all tutors would be automatically available at midnight all week when a TMA is due.. ) and some only want contact in certain ways eg some only want phone calls and not emails or vice versa. Differences in preference of communication method can be enough to put a strain on the relationship. I don't like it when tutors just want phonecalls because my memory isn't good, and if i have to try and write down what they're telling me while they're talking on the phone it makes it harder than email where you have time to read over what they put. check 'hassled' tutor isn't just being approached 'the wrong way' for their style before you get too frustrated.

weirdly the OU seems to give loads of support on smaller starter courses and less and less as you go along. The sad part is that 'neglecting' further-on students ignores 'what the tutors can learn from the students'..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Return to Social Forum