roll call

For anything that is not really to do with Systems - or at least so off topic as not to fit anywhere else.

roll call

Postby Teiana on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:33 pm

hello
haven't been in for a while. other than a few spammers strolling past it seems rather quiet around here. Does anyone still use this forum? I really miss the OU, and using my brain.... been a bit preoccupied with other things lately.
anyone still around?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: roll call

Postby Dave H on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:44 pm

I look in most days in the hope that there is a real and interesting post. I never find anything and I wonder where it went wrong.

Currently I am doing an apla test of eco-systems course for FutureLearn. It is an interesting experience and making me think about systems in a different way. It would have been nice if Systems Place could have developed in this way.
Dave H

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:44 am

I occasionally look in here, but activity is so low these days that I rarely find anything to contribute to.

I'm not studying Systems at the moment either so don't have that as a source of questions or points of discussion.

I'm doing the beta test for FutureLearn EcoSystems Dave.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:47 pm

well it's a relief to know i'm not wandering around here by myself! I haven't got anything interesting to report on, although i'm sorely tempted to find an OU course for the autumn.. not sure if finances will allow...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Karen on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:50 am

Hi Teiana - I haven't looked in here for a while and was never one for contributing to the great debates that went on. Perhaps the closing of the systems undergraduate courses has limited further the interest. After 2 years I've decided to go for a Masters with the OU just signed up for TU815 to get the brain going again. Never thought I would be doing this but I've missed it too :) x
B120 - 2007/8, T214 - 2008, BU130 - 2008/09, T306 - 2009, B203 - 2009/10, B201 - 2010, B301 - 2011
Karen

Postby Teiana on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:43 pm

oh spam2, great stuff, good luck! *jealous*
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jsp_1983 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:26 am

So, umm... Who actually runs the forum? I'm guessing they're busy with work/ study/ all of the above. Would it be worth asking them if one or two people could be made mods in order to remove the spam?

I check in when I remember, but it's that vicious circle of few posts = less likely to visit again soon. I enjoy reading the discussions, though. Would the forum have a more fruitful future if it was opened up to a wider systemsy audience? Or perhaps it could get some attention from tutors on the postgrad courses who could signpost students here?

As I've mentioned in another thread, my experience of forums is that they're a valuable resource - particularly for OU students, in the absence of the usual academic surroundings.
jsp_1983

Postby Teiana on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:59 pm

I don't run it but I have been given some blocking capability to prevent spam getting out of control. Still don't really understand how it gets in in the first place. very odd. I don't tend to delete them since I reckon that would just mask the problem - sort of want neill to see what's what, but if I see spammers I usually block them so they can't do any more immediate damage. In order to attract anyone to post we need regular posters... I think even if the posts aren't detailed systems posts they are still useful, if we could see more book recommendations and stuff... everything helps keep the place alive.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jsp_1983 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:42 am

Well, a forum administrator could enable manual activation of accounts (but this would require them to do this as and when, which may not be feasible if they are unavailable for extended periods).

There's a phpBB guide to spam: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... /faq/f_548

I understand the reason for not wanting to remove posts by spammers, but I think that their presence might amplify the appearance of the forum being... moribund :? To my mind, if I see spam on a forum, and it's been there a while, my train of thought is "hmm, these spam posts have been here a while and nobody's removed them, so this forum must have died some time ago..."
I suppose in that sense, spammers really are parasites, killing off their host.

I'm starting TU812 in a few days, so I'll highlight the forum on there. I just hope it gets more activity than the half dozen posts that T889 mustered in its entirety.

It's a shame The OU killed off systems for undergrads :roll: or there might at least be an enhanced chance of growing a pool of a contributors.

Here's some food for thought. See if it conjures up any memories of the materials in the last block of T214!

http://course.feverbee.com/lifecycle20.png
jsp_1983

Postby Dave H on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:43 pm

I just wondered if another way forward would be to get people to suggest topics that might be discussed. Below I provide some ideas

Some of the debate about climate change suggests that we do not understand the systems involved. To me it seems that the system involved is a Complex Adaptive System and I just wondered if anybody agrees or disagrees. If they agree then how cann we improve our understanding of such systems to aid our understanding of climate change.

In ecosystems the system develops based on the transfer of energy and it seems that in a climate system there is a transfer of energy. Therefore is an ecosystem the same as a climate system. If not what is the difference and how does this expand our knowledge of these systems.
Dave H

Next

Return to Social Forum