Let's celebrate Systemsplace first birthday!

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

Re: Let's celebrate Systemsplace first birthday!

Postby Pottyday on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Congratulations everyone!

I must apologise for my long absence. I have (un)consciously withdrawn myself not only from here, but also the offical course forums, and facebook, etc...not sure why, just needed some space from others, please don't take it personally...I have missed you all!

I would love to be involved in the future of this forum and continue to think/practice systems thinking, but I have a quite severe (sometimes crippling) preference for keeping my thoughts to myself and I find posting online is strangely difficult for me, I find it hard to share, I am really critical of my own words and quite often delete responses that I have written without posting them....I love reading all your posts and envy your ability to put your thoughts out there for everyone to read and comment on. Does this make any sense?

I don't even know why I popped in here today...maybe I was avoiding the exam revision or thought this would help!

I'm going to go now before I delete this :oops:
"I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde.
Pottyday

Postby Teiana on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:52 pm

potty!

you wouldn't believe how many of My posts i delete before posting them. Considering how many end up getting posted, it's probably a good thing some don't make the grade!! :-)

welcome back, we missed you too!

anyway, the thing is, everyone has their own 'posting style'.

Some of the best bloggers and so on actually post very little of their own thoughts, when you look at it, but what they are great at is selecting quotes from others and putting bits of those in context. Other people post a lot of their own feelings and thoughts and not much material which is quoted from others or referencable etc. everyone is somewhere on the scale. Why not just try out some 'styles of posting'.

It's one reason i am 'teiana' in here, she/i/it is an 'online persona' .. i can imagine up 'what teiana would say' which, sure, is quite a lot like what some other 'me's' would say, but well, i can look at it differently too.. There's another site I use although i haven't been for a long time where there is a chat room - as 'teiana' in there i have characteristic styles of 'being'. I don't roleplay her as much in here because of the nature of the board, the intended audience and the fact it's not a chat room.. but i Could, if i wanted to. What i'm trying to say is that if you aren't comfortable posting 'as yourself', just pick someone you would be comfortable posting as.

[as the other teiana, i have a pet armadillo who often rides in on a tri-ang truckload of toy bricks, and i have a tendency to make grand entrances, such as 'strides in wearing a full length black fur coat and wellies and sou'wester hat'. But you didn't hear that from me. :-) shh! ] .
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby scootrider on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Pottyday wrote: I am really critical of my own words and quite often delete responses that I have written without posting them.... Does this make any sense?

Hi Potty

It makes complete sense to me. I have experienced exactly the same. :roll:

I hope between us and new systems students we can keep the forum going and discuss issues to gain that extra perspective, (Teiana ;) ). I will be checking in frequently to catch up on the original T214ers and others.

Anyways, Happy Birthday.
"It is better to do the right thing incorrectly than to keep doing the wrong thing better and better". Russell Ackoff (1995)
T214-08, T306-09, T206-10, U316-11
scootrider

Postby Pottyday on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm

scootrider wrote:It makes complete sense to me. I have experienced exactly the same. :roll:

I'm glad it's not just me :)
"I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde.
Pottyday

Postby jim_lewis1 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:51 am

_
Last edited by jim_lewis1 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:22 pm

hey looky, we're nearly Two! :)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:38 pm

going on four! systemsplace will be starting school soon!

Seriously though - at the moment we just seem to be getting spammers posting stuff... it would be a shame if this place just became overgrown and full of weeds...if you're lurking, and you're not a spammer, Please Post Something! Review a book, comment on a news article, tell us your news, ask a question... Please Save Systemsplace!
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Karen on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:00 am

Hi

I haven't been around for a while, but nearly a year on from my final degree exam I find I have some head space to start thinking about all that I learned and wanting to brush up on the systems thinking area in particular. So I've posted a couple of things here as requested :) - find it a bit nerve wracking actually writing down my thoughts as I'm a bit rusty but with any luck if we get some good discussions going it will help to reawaken whatever is hopefully buried in my brain.

Karen
B120 - 2007/8, T214 - 2008, BU130 - 2008/09, T306 - 2009, B203 - 2009/10, B201 - 2010, B301 - 2011
Karen

Previous

Return to The Navel