Mind Mapping

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

Mind Mapping

Postby Neill on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:21 pm

I have decided to begin a new thread in this forum to discuss the subject of how we can add mind mapping to the forum.
this follows on from the T214 Glossary thread that had wandered well off subject.

The challenge was/is to allow us a way to share mind maps as we attempt to explain or develop new ideas.
After playing with a variety of softwares I have now created an on line mind map at Mindmeister.com.

I have also managed to embed a dynamic image which should show the current status of the map.
Clicking on the image should take you to Mindmeister.com where you can see the original map.

And now I need a "tester".
I think that the map can be edited by any one who has registered with Mindmeister.com (which is free).
Please give it a try and let me have some feedback.
Thanks!
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Re: Mind Mapping

Postby Ercesuzan on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:33 am

I did some work several years ago with a medical consultant who was interested in using mind mapping techniques to help alzheimers patients. Funding ran out for the project so it didn't progress but I notice that there are now several mind mapping software packages but in those days we were being asked to write one as they had not been developed.

It was an interesting concept and I wonder if it ever went any further. Don't expect I will have any info as it was quite a few years ago.

I recall the project was to use a hand held computer and the patient would be prompted to choose a word and this would then take them to another connected word.

Not in test mode at the moment (sad news this week) but will look at the software Neill suggests in a few days.
All for now, take care
Ercesuzan

Postby scootrider on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:39 am

I had already registered, so managed to get straight into the map and play with it a bit.

The link worked fine and the map was already in a mode whereby I did not need to hit an edit button (as in the link on the 'glossary' thread) to add stuff.

By adding the longer link as a tester it looks to me as though the dynamic link is working spot on.

Very impressive. :mrgreen:
"It is better to do the right thing incorrectly than to keep doing the wrong thing better and better". Russell Ackoff (1995)
T214-08, T306-09, T206-10, U316-11
scootrider

Postby Neill on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:05 am

Ercesuzan wrote:
but in those days we were being asked to write one as they had not been developed

I remember those days. If you needed something then go and write it. I actually wrote some fun things.
My all time favourite was a database based online shop for sportswear. The database was seven dimensional which was a great challenge because while I could program it I could not visualise it.

But nowadays there is already so much "stuff" freely available that I have turned in to an "integrator".
I take the wish for a systems forum and fulfill it with a mySQL database, PHP and phpBB. No programming necessary - just set up.
And when some one wants mind maps then I find Mindmeister and try to integrate that.
It may not be bleeding edge but it is effective.

Scootrider wrote:
Very impressive. :mrgreen:

Thank you but as I just wrote, it is just glueing the clever stuff that others have done together :-)

Teiana wrote nothing but tested it anyway.
Is the interface understandable?
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:16 am

didn't i put that it was great? of course we'll only know if it's working if we get enough penguins....
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Dave H on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:14 pm

Great the image takes me to the mindmap and it looks good. It appears that the penguims are part of an active link but clicking on them does nothing, I was expecting it to take me somewhere.

I have also tried the wiki link and that works.

We are getting a good system set up and lets hope we can develop this further.
Dave H

Postby Pottyday on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Neill wrote:Teiana wrote nothing but tested it anyway.
Is the interface understandable?

It was obvious that Teiana had been testing :lol:
I have had a look and it look s impressive, but I have not had time to play with it...
"I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde.
Pottyday

Postby Chris Dann on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:42 pm

We thinks its grate :lol:
penguins.png
penguins.png (45.32 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Chris Dann

Return to The Navel