diagramming section

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

diagramming section

Postby Teiana on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:10 pm

i suggested to neill that maybe we should have one, i'm just wondering where it should be, whether it should be a separate board or a sub board under systems in general.. or ? where? I'm imagining somewhere we can have permanent links out to other diagramming resources and also post up our own diagrams and attempted diagrams and critiques on our own and each others, etc..maybe threads on different diagram types? or if it was a board of it's own, maybe sub-boards on the different types? I don't know what's easiest.. If the diagramming section was a board of it's own at the top level, then the sub boards were for each 'type' of diagram with one 'general' one, and then in each sub-board eg 'systems maps' each new map could be in a new thread, for discussion of it? or are they better if they're all posted into one thread? <face of don't know>
any thoughts?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: diagramming section

Postby Karen on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:32 pm

I think it would be good to have a main diagramme section with sub sets for each type. We must all be better and worse at different diagrams, hopefully we can help each other understand better. Can we post pictures here?
B120 - 2007/8, T214 - 2008, BU130 - 2008/09, T306 - 2009, B203 - 2009/10, B201 - 2010, B301 - 2011
Karen

Postby Andrea on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:54 am

Sorry to be a party pooper -- but isn't the whole point of diagramming to provide an alternative means of communication for written text? So rather than have a separate diagramming section, shouldn't we be striving to develop a tool which could easily produce and embed diagrams amongst our various discussions?

The current process of drawing diagrams on desktop-based software and then attaching it within postings, or linking out from postings to external online tools, is okay, but wouldn't it be great if we could have a diagramming tool available as part of the discussion forum functionality? Probably a pipe dream for the moment, but I would certainly prefer to see diagrams embedded within text, rather than a distinct section just with diagrams.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Neill on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello Andrea!

Well that ruined my afternoon.
I read your email and thought .. mmm!
He's right you know.

So I went off out in to the big wide Internet to look for a solution.
How about
http://www.dabbleboard.com/?b=Neill&i=0 ... d9d954d1be
I can not think of any way to embed the drawing in to the posting although I can get a picture in there
download.png
download.png (6.19 KiB) Viewed 1307 times

This is the best I can offer right now.
You can scribble a picture and post a link here.
Or export the picture and add it as an attachment.
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:53 pm

argh i sent a reply earlier to this but it's gone! dunno what happend there maybe i didnt' post it properly!!

i don't think he's right at all, but i have lost my reply now..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:01 pm

rats, it's no good i'll just have to say it all again

the purpose of a diagramming section is to discuss diagramming. TO be able to critique the diagrams themselves etc

It's no good if when someone uses a diagram in a thread to illustrate a point if people come in and say 'well that's too small' or 'the texts to small' or ' criticise the layout or whatever, the thread should be about the discussion topic and the discussion should stay with that - people should be able to follow the point being made not discuss the diagram itself.

we need a diagramming section so that we can compare diagrams and evolve better ones

i said this all so much better earlier i had no idea my post hadn't sent.

I struggle with the feeble resources we get given officially - it's hard to learn the rules from them, there aren't enough examples. We could build an ongoing useful diagramming resource area where we post diagrams for discussion and comparison and are able to see how our own and others diagrams evolve.

somewhere where people learning to do diagrams can see them and understand why changes have been made...

i can't see a reason not to have a diagramming section....

of course it would be wonderful to have threads being better illustrated with more diagrams but that that is not connected...

the 'diagramming' section wasn't intended to be a 'repository for ALL our diagrams' but a workshopping place for us to learn to develop them.. without trashing peoples discussion threads by going off topic with criticisms of diagrams, and also to make sure if people for example wanted to see 'examples of an influence diagram', they wouldn't have to wade through all the boards looking...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Fantastic find Neill!!

Hopefully my department will get me a digi scribble soon and I will be diagramming happily away!!

But how can we embed the image using just the URL address into the posting?
We have the URL: http://www.dabbleboard.com/?b=Neill&i=0 ... d9d954d1be !!

what's the "IMG" button for?
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Neill on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Fantastic find Neill!!

Thank you!
I have been playing on and off all afternoon (except for a quick snow board).
It has cut in to my study time but I think it is worth it.

But how can we embed the image using just the URL address into the posting?

That is the question that I have been trying to solve all afternoon.
What we need is the same functionality as offered by Mindmeister.
The principle is easy but I have too few Guru points or too little time to solve it.
Doesn't anyone have a bored programmer sat around?
All we need is a little widget that takes a screenshot, saves it as a graphic, resizes the graphic and presents it as in line picture.
Must have been done a million times but I can not find it.

what's the "IMG" button for?

That is what I used to save an image that I then uploaded to the forum but it is not dynamic.

I wish I had more time to play
:-)
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby Neill on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:36 pm

Who wrote the text in the "diagram" saying "what is this?"
And more importantly what tool did they use?
A pencil or pen of some type?
Thanks!
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:16 pm

i'll give you one guess.

the 'tool' was my Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet's pen. :-)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Next

Return to The Navel