Finding a name

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

Finding a name

Postby Ercesuzan on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:54 pm

I suggest a vote of founder members from a list of maybe five options.
All for now, take care
Ercesuzan

Re: Finding a name

Postby Andrea on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

I won't take part in this, but thinking about "the environment" (in a systemic sense), I am wondering how (or indeed, if people actually would like this option) non-T214 veterans would find this site? For example, potential T214 students (there are already about 100 signed up to take the course in 2009) or potential T306 students who have not taken T214?

Doing a Google search with the words "systems thinking", "T214" and "T306" brings up the usual OU stuff, but then I discovered http://ouforum.com/viewforum.php?f=152 -- obviously looks like somebody is trying to cash in on this or somebody within the OU has been tasked to set this up (certainly does not look like any "bottom-up" activity going on there).
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:54 am

how they would find this site, as in, navigate to it? well the people from here who are joining T306 will tell them, and i'm sure we can get a link posted into next years T214? after that we just rely on the six degrees thing... soon everyone will know someone who's in. :)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:02 pm

oh i see what you mean, i mean, you mean people who are potential students but aren't actually in the process of the course starting...? do they need to be in? surely once they've started the course is enough? we could link to it in delicious, people could search in there for it... i don't think we should worry i think word will get out. it's not like we're going to be short of people.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:09 pm

@Andrea: Thank you for the link. Those forums showed my worst nightmare.
You find a group of interesting, intelligent people joined by a subject (systems) and set up a forum.
People join, nothing is discussed, people stop looking by and it dies.
Another broken husk of a forum littering the Internet.
Failure!

@ Teianu:
Or my dreams are realised.
We have interesting conversations and learn from one another.
Each person tells two other people and they come along as well.
New students, ex students, non students and every one.
We fulfil their needs and become the "Systems Place"
spam2!
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:21 pm

lol @ boards and threads dying. I am a member of another online community - there's a message board thread in there which has nearly 7500 messages in it and is about to have it's 6th birthday. [what's even odder is i myself hardly ever post to it - yes i know that's hard to believe :-) ]
it's not about how many people are in it's about people posting enough stuff regularly that people come in often enough to read it.. positive feedback..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi Teiana!
(What does Teiana mean?)
Yes people need to post but the posts have to
supply information,
be entertaining,
& be structured
to ensure that users return.

7500 active users? Then we "will" make the front page of some magazine!
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:34 pm

teiana is a name i made up ( though i doubt it is 'original' ). It comes from two parts, the first being the rune Teiwaz, which is the warrior rune, the courage rune, the norse god tyr, god of war... a glyph that was painted on shields before battle.. sometimes referred to as the rune of the spiritual warrior whose battle is with the self. The second part is really just to turn it into a girls name, though it is also after my friend Anna..( i pronounce it Tay-anna ) I have been using it for some time either as a character name in games or in another chat room place i frequent.. can't remember how long i have had it now, but quite a while. One of my alter-egos.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Chris Dann on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Neill wrote:@Andrea: Thank you for the link. Those forums showed my worst nightmare.
You find a group of interesting, intelligent people joined by a subject (systems) and set up a forum.
People join, nothing is discussed, people stop looking by and it dies.
Another broken husk of a forum littering the Internet.
Failure!

@ Teianu:
Or my dreams are realised.
We have interesting conversations and learn from one another.
Each person tells two other people and they come along as well.
New students, ex students, non students and every one.
We fulfil their needs and become the "Systems Place"
spam2!

Hi Neill et al
I like 'The Systems Place' as a name for the forum. :D
I don't think we have competition from the OU forum, doesn't look well used. I think you can only set up a forum with interested people, not set up a forum and hope interested people will 'drop in'.
This one is getting a variety of topics on it, all vaguely systems related or OU related but my guess is that as time goes by, the topics will get more varied, but there will still be plenty going on to keep people coming back.
Chris :shock:
Chris Dann

Postby Neill on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:01 pm

Well we are still here and still need a name.
Honestly I like the Red Pill Forum based on a thread elsewhere.
red-pill-forum.org

But I could live with the Systems Place
systems-place.org

Or we are still up for further suggestions.
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Next

Return to The Navel