Let's celebrate Systemsplace first birthday!

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

Let's celebrate Systemsplace first birthday!

Postby Andrea on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:21 pm

How about this for some navelgazing!! I think we're soon coming up to Systemsplace's very first birthday (around 10 October) and was wondering whether we should throw a party for it? :-)
happy birthday Systemsplace.jpg
happy birthday Systemsplace.jpg (24.77 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Re: Let's celebrate Systemsplace first birthday!

Postby Teiana on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:27 pm

oh spam2, i love parties, hip hip hooray for systemsplace! :P :lol:
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:39 am

Thank you for the reminder Andrea!
Doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself.

But once we get the exams behind us, then I think we need to take a critical look at the systems place and particularly at the factors that are necessary to allow it to continue to exist in future.

Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Neill on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:31 pm

Does any one actually see a future for the Systems Place when we all go our own ways?
Or put another way - will any one have the motivation to post?
Or will we just fade away leaving the posts and threads as a memorial until the server rent runs out and the whole place justs folds up and disappears?

There are so many posts about the courses but less about "everything else". What will happen when the course postings dry up?
Like the water hole drying up and leaving the ghost town.

:-(
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:40 pm

i'm not going anywhere.

I'm not even sure i could find the door.

I have a 'study break' next, til feb, during which time i'm going to be prepping for my next course and hopefully trying to do a bit more on my project, which i feel would be cool...

I want to be able to hang out here, but how 'systemsy' my contribution is is likely to depend on who else is around to talk to.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Emma B on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 am

I may be around next year as i have the T450 enginnering project and it will either be on design or systems. If its systems i'll be about thinking aloude a bit in here and testing my diagrams on people to see if they can uess what i'm on about.

Perhaps we could encourage tutors to advertise this place's existence to new intake of students next year.
Emma B

Postby Teiana on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:52 am

people.

this place doesn't just 'appear like rainbows' it exists and continues to exist specifically because neill is holding it in place.

he needs a reason to continue to do so.

one reason to do so might be that he believes that we Are a system, that we Are a community, that we all feel part of something important and feel as if this 'place' is more than a place but also an ideal, a family, a group of friends, an opportunity, a resource, and that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and that the emergent properties We have, are worth treasuring.

Things don't just happen.. places like this don't just 'sit in the background' waiting for whether or not people can be bothered to contribute... it's not a TV channel you can switch on and off when it suits. If you don't use it, it dies. There's not some magic invisible force going to keep it going indefinitely 'just in case' people 'might' bother to look in occasionally. It's not kept alive by 'may be arounds'. Any more than your legs and arms can say 'oh, well, you know, i haven't been around for 6 months, i didn't think it mattered'....

I thought (and think) we have been working to build something here that we could all feel a part of. If you are reading this - You are a part of what this is. If you are reading this and have studied systems stuff you know that even removing the part that is You, will change what 'it' is.

If you're behind the ideas that got this place set up in the first place and behind neills having set it up and want to support that it continues right now is Your opportunity to say so. It's not up to 'other people'. It's up to you.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Dave H on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:52 am

I know that I have made very few posts but I would like to see Systems Place continue.

There have been some interesting issues raised in various threads which I would like to investigate further once the exam is over. If Systems Place disappears where can I post any insights resulting from investigating these issues. Also I am not sure of any other source for some of the debate that takes place here.

I also feel that T306 has been a disaster and next year I am planning to investigate where I went wrong and work through the T306 materials again so I am hoping that I can discuss some of my difficulties here.

I am not sure how good I am as a systems thinker so some of the posts may not be completely systems but I hope the responses will guide me in the right direction.

I have enjoyed reading the messages and I hope this can continue.
Dave H

Postby Teiana on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:07 pm

while i don't think T306 has been a disaster for me i would really like to iterate back through some of it again! so dave H if you want someone to work through it with in here, sign me up.

i know for me one aspect of T306 that i felt i could have improved on Enormously was my use of notes/learning album ( i still don't have one!) and organisation of self in respect to working... I'd like to be able to sort my T306 notes into something other than the big messy pile of paper i have at the moment!

which in itself is going to mean going back through it and re-ordering/working out what to condense, keep, throw away...

i'd like maybe just one neat 'referrable to' file... (well, even three or four small ones!)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Karen on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:08 pm

it would be good to keep this going. Especially if next year's courses could use it but i don't know how they would know it is here!?

My Feb business course has a block on systems thinking - so i will no doubt be back

Karen
B120 - 2007/8, T214 - 2008, BU130 - 2008/09, T306 - 2009, B203 - 2009/10, B201 - 2010, B301 - 2011
Karen

Next

Return to The Navel