When is a hub a hub?

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

When is a hub a hub?

Postby Neill on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:19 pm

Searches for
ou t214 t306, ou t214, ou t306 or open university t214
in Google all have us on the first page.
Which is maybe why people are finding us who were not in at the start two weeks ago.
Does that make us a hub?

There are hardly any links from anywhere to us.
So we are not a hub?

Or is being directly linked (at the top level) to "the" super hub, enough to gain hub status?
Probably not.
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Re: When is a hub a hub?

Postby Andrea on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:56 am

Is Google a super hub, or just a list of 'real' hubs under descending order of popularity? Personally, I think the Google search facility has gone beyond super hub status and is effectively the de facto portal to the World Wide Web ;)

There is certainly something very systemic about this though: since most people use Google to identify the popular sites on the World Wide Web, the ones listed first on Google will be clicked on first, thus becoming even more popular. Positive feedback at work here.

Now that we are on the front page of Google, will we experience an exponential rise in visitors? I certainly do not think that we will be swamped, since I cannot imagine thousands of people typing in 'T214', 'T306' and 'The Open University'. Things might get a bit busy though if we end up on the front page by people just typing in 'systems thinking' :o

Bob Zimmer proposes that for a discussion forum to be sustainable in the long term, it needs about 30 regular contributors. Not sure what the term "regular" implies though. We currently have 35 members but I have no idea what the distribution of postings are among members.

Would be nice to know how many 'guests' we are getting at the moment too?
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:37 pm

about 18% of the current postings are by me. :-)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Ercesuzan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:57 pm

I'm sure you an improve on that (18%) when you make a full rcovery!
All for now, take care
Ercesuzan

Return to The Navel