what to put where?

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

what to put where?

Postby Teiana on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:40 pm

So, T306 is over... i'm thinking now about what to put where with regards to my posting to the systems place. I have three 'ideas' in my head.... one, my 'diary thread' for my day to day musings.. but two others come to mind..

1) i'd like to make some bigger posts about complexity and stuff.. I don't know whether i should a) post them as and when randomly to the 'systems in general' place.. or whether i should create a specific thread for them there, or whether i should just post them into the diary thread... i'm thinking i would like to be able to easily find them again afterwards, but i don't know, because so far it's just a random idea, i might do half of one and then never get any further..

2) i'd like to start working a bit more methodically on my ideas about combining systems and music (though i really can't figure out which i am trying to use to explain the other) .... i was wondering if the thing to do was to have somewhere in particular to put that. Can my diary thread have a sub-board, a baby, a mini-me? would that work? Or should i try creating something somewhere else? again, i want to be able to find everything afterwards, and for this 'section' of my thinking that would actually be important.

please i realise i'm the boards most prolific poster and i don't want it to look like i'm taking over. And somehow i want a balance between being able to order things/find things again/make sense without going off topic too much etc.. and yet allowing others to read/contribute to where i'm at. What i am hoping for here are some suggestions as to how i can best organise my thoughts in here to get the best of both worlds...and encourage other people to contribute their own project/investigation/exploration ideas too..

i'd love it if everyone had 'diary thread' type things going or even better, their own subject-related-yet-systemsy threads/boards.

do you have any ideas/suggestions?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: what to put where?

Postby Ercesuzan on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:51 pm

I think it's a good idea to look to whats next.

My suggestion is systems and fractals, my area of interest.

Not sure how to take this forward but I throw it into the pot!
All for now, take care
Ercesuzan

Postby jim_lewis1 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:56 pm

I honestly do not mean this to sound as harsh as it probably does, but I think what you are looking for is a blog, not a forum.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:16 pm

and the reason this place can't do both is?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:32 pm

the only difference between a blog and a forum is that in a blog the 'replies' are listed in smaller font at the bottom making them look insignificant. Which is mad because what is a blog without readers? A forum where nobody bothers to reply 'becomes' a blog. Yet you can never - when posting to a forum - guarantee that anyone will either read it or reply.

I post more than everyone else here. I don't plan to, or mean to, or want to, it's just 'what happens'. I have two choices - 1) effective blogging- ie, post regardless of whether anyone has replied.. hoping that some people will read and be entertained and hope (but with no guarantee) to stimulate discussion, and encourage other people to blog/post themselves.. or 2) post once, and then Only post in reply to other people.. waiting the whole time for other people to start stuff, and not posting anything otherwise (in order to avoid appearing to 'take over' the boards by posting the majority of posts).

we all have our own angle on things in here, whether that's business/commerce/social justice/environmental concerns/aesthetics/poetry/music/art/learning/communicating/psychology....

it's not very systemic (in my view!) if everyone is somehow forced to run off into a corner to start their own blog somewhere (which could be one interpretation of the comment that what i am 'looking for is a blog'.) I see the benefit of this place in that we can all bring our own angles in and yet see how they are all interdependent, and how 'systems' ideas can apply to all areas...

and i do want to try and avoid mindless 'journalising without purpose' and try and get 'systemsy' about stuff, but it's going to take me a while i think to develop a style of doing that. And in the meantime i don't want to clog up the boards inappropriately, hence the discussion thread.

:-)
i also want to avoid falling into the trap i see others falling in to whereby they are afraid to post anything at all for fear of being not systemic enough, or thinking that in order to contribute here they must somehow pass some kind of intelligence test, or worse - that this forum fall into the trap of becoming a male-oriented rational-dicussions-only-please kind of place where all the 'soft stuff' - emotion and context - gets thrown out of the window in favour of creating a forum entirely devoted to 'hero-worship-of-1960s-systems-gurus' stuff..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:53 pm

I also agree with Teiana that blending blogging with discussions isn't such a bad thing -- sometimes you need an opinionated commentary from somebody, very much like a blog entry, to kick discussions off. If the discussion then changes direction, that's fine. But it might also be useful to have sections dedicated to certain themes -- it's curious to notice (and probably obvious to you guys -- but it was a bit of a revelation to me) how different sections in Systemsplace are taking on cultures of their own. In some places some individuals feel more confident in contributing than in other places -- and the tone and style of discussions is different. Almost like mini-incubators within the mega-incubator of systems thinking and practice that Systemsplace has become. So creating a bit of 'biodiversity' within Systemsplace might not be such a bad idea. Some sections may very well struggle and go extinct, while others may evolve to produce a whole range of weird and wonderful lines. We may therefore need a process for "burying" extinct sections and some kind of geological record so that the bones don't get in the way, but at the same time, are accessible enough for curious Systemsplace archaeologists. :-) to some extent this already happens, as older threads get pushed lower down the page. But we may also need something along those lines for individual sections?
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:48 am

is this not being addressed because everyone thinks i won't ever get around to posting anything useful anyway so it's pointless making any space for it, or is it just i'm overanalysing things, or does nobody care at all what i post where?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Pottyday on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:27 pm

It's not that I don't care, it's just I haven't paid it much thought :oops:

I like that you are thinking about things and I am too, to a fashion! I also agree that a blog is not what you are looking for. So, I was thinking that systems ideas for development/discussion should probably go in the systems in general section and random thoughts that aren't ready for development could probably stay in the dear diary...until they are ready for more discussion that would clog up your diary....how does that sound?
"I am not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde.
Pottyday

Postby Neill on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:50 pm

hello Teiana!

This was not at the top of my list right now.
And things further down are being repressed right now as I try to remain sane despite everything going on.

I personally felt that what you needed was a blog but as there are enough good ones out there I felt no need to point you to one.
I am quite happy for you to keep posting to your "Dear Diary" though. I can read that without going off site.

If people want to suggest new forums and a few people say "sounds like a good idea" then I will create them.
I also think that I can move forums around (although doing so may break something).

Any ignoring I am doing is totally incidental and means nothing.
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:29 pm

yeah it's ok, i mean i only said something because i suddenly realised it was ages since the exam and i have mostly been playing online gaming... :-( must exercise brain!!!!

i just was trying to make sure i didn't give myself an excuse to do nothing.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Next

Return to The Navel