what to put where?

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

Re: what to put where?

Postby Teiana on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:47 am

i'm still mulling this over. I started wondering if we needed something along the lines of a residents lounge/project corner/workroom/laboratory.. somewhere for people to expand on their own projects/themes...experiment in..

the 'general' board feels wrong for this, i think it should be literally 'general' discussion... as it is now..
and putting ideas people are trying to develop or theoretical stuff in 'social' sounds wrong to me too.

I can't use the diary for working stuff out in because then everything will just get muddled up.

All year we've all had our course sections for doing our 'business' side of things in, but that's gone now, clearly the T214 lot who are moving to T306 ( are there any?) will be able to take over in the T306 boards, and if there are new T214'ers on board they can take over in there, but there's nowhere now for ex-T214-non-T306'ers or ex-T306'ers to 'work' in. And i think there should be...

The only alternative i can see is to work in somewhere like googledocs instead, but there's still nowhere here to put links to that or headers/info about that. So it wouldn't seem like part of what we're doing here... i think we need a board/section for working in...

thoughts?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:15 pm

One of the things I wanted to do in contribution to this discussion was to draw up a pseudo-systems map of all the various discussion hierarchies within Systemsplace, outlining the stated purpose of each unit and then comparing these to the actual discussions that go on within these units. Alas, no time!

But it's clear that in some cases there is a relatively good match e.g. bookclub, but in some other cases it's a bit of a disaster -- there is actually very little correspondence between what is discussed and the intended purpose of that discussion area.

I think this is a clear sign that there needs to be some light touch restructuring so that there is better correspondence -- or at least, the stated purposes for many of the units need to be removed and maybe have just one mega unit where everything is up for grabs?
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:52 pm

i thought it was a pretty close match myself.. diagramming is all about diagramming, book club about books, the socials mostly my diary.. the course forums stayed on track.. where's the snag?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:49 am

look don't worry about the whole what to put where thing i'm kidding myself if i think i'll ever actually achieve anything anyway. i know i've failed the exam for T306 and i really should stop fooling myself that i will ever achieve anything .. my whole life is a disaster zone and the world would be better off if i didn't bother getting out of bed in the morning. i'll shut up, and go back to just sporadically writing drivel in the diary thread about failing and fear.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:49 am

being part of the real world is just a dream i had once.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:24 pm

woah there nelly! Time for a bar of chocolate. There's nothing unwanted or unvaluable, (SP?), about this discussion.

I usually try to find a spot to chuck my posts at, and quite often get it wrong, (or else the discussion moves out of one realm and into another).

I'm sure that the classification of topics itself could put people off posting, simply because they don't know where to post!

Given how much diagramming underpins systemic thinking it certainly is a shame that we are not able to incorporate this aspect into our discussions more easily. I'm not sure what the answer to that one is.

There might also be some value in taking an archiving approach to some of the older stuff, (eg from previous presentations of the courses). The stuff could still be available, but perhaps a nice fresh empty T214 or T306 board would allow new voices to be heard.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:31 pm

There might also be some value in taking an archiving approach to some of the older stuff, (eg from previous presentations of the courses). The stuff could still be available, but perhaps a nice fresh empty T214 or T306 board would allow new voices to be heard.

i was wondering about that, i wondered if we could make a sub board in both course forums for our older stuff, move it down a level..

but i figured we'd probably have to wait and see what the people inheriting them want to do. Have we anyone here reading this doing either T306 or T214 next year? There's no point us creating empty spaces if we have nobody here to use them..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:33 pm

though i guess we could, and then in each 'empty space' put in a 'roll call' thread for the next batch to sign up to. Course if nobody does that might look a bit silly :-)

i have run out of chocolate and rather disastrously yesterday left two almost full boxes of ice cream out in the kitchen so they melted and i had to throw them out. :-( I felt upset about that.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:26 pm

Pah!, I used to work in a petrol station and was so busy when the ice-cream delivery came, (a whole freezer full), that I left it standing for a couple of hours in summer.

The boss's face when he asked me when it arrived was a picture.

(I think most of it was OK, but probably a bit deformed!)
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Previous

Return to The Navel