google bot

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

google bot

Postby Teiana on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:48 pm

why is there a google bot 'registered user' ? is this safe? are they spying on me? how did a bot get registered? or is it someone's idea of a joke name?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: google bot

Postby Jools on Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:38 pm

Eh :?: what you talkin' about??
Jools.

Head in the clouds, feet on the ground...
Jools

Re: google bot

Postby Neill on Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:36 pm

What Teiana has noticed is that sometimes in the list of users online there is a user called Google Bot.
why is there a google bot 'registered user' ?

Google use robots (or spiders) to "crawl" the net looking at what is out there. This is how they collate the information for their search engine. These programmes are permanently crawling through all the links they can find and index everything they come across (unless the webmaster has created a special robots.txt file telling them not to).

is this safe?

Yes. Just think of it as a very fast user with a huge memory who spends all day surfing. The robot only sees what every other unregistered user sees - all your posts. As an aside, the Google Bot is one reason why a "page counter" on an Internet page is a total waste of time. It counts every bot that comes along as a person.

are they spying on me?

I would say no. The robot is quite open about being there and even identifies its self as a Google Bot when it turns up.

how did a bot get registered? or is it someone's idea of a joke name?

As I said, the Google Bot is very well behaved and always identifies its self. Therefore the phpBB system (which our forum runs on) can identify it and rather than saying "unidentified user" lists it under the registered users. Not totally correct maybe but no problem.

For us the Google Bot is nice to have around. It keeps reporting back everything we are talking about to Google so that when some one searches for something we are discussing they will be directed to us.
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Return to The Navel