address change

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

address change

Postby Teiana on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:32 pm

did changing the address create a cloned board? only i posted something this morning and can't see it anywhere. Or did all the board pages just swap addresses? having so much bother with this, and i can get in from the other computer but only to sub-pages of the old address, i can't get to the new one, i suppose i could if i wrote it down now and typed it in there, but i never remember. grr. this one won't keep me logged in and logs me out when i navigate to the front page. it's so hard to see what's going on. There's not many people posting either, does this mean everyone else is having problems, or just that nobody can be bothered? This site was a great idea but if nobody posts stuff people will stop coming to look, and then it will die. Boards die easily. It doesn't take long with people not keeping them alive for them to die. Which would be a shame. I can't post as much as i'd like because of these technical difficulties. Don't say 'oh well it will get better once T306 starts - because by then all the T306'ers will be busy!. and they'll be posting to the main T306 forums too. Or is this place destined to be a ghost town? There were loads of us on T214.. why is this place so quiet?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: address change

Postby Neill on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi!

I sent you an email (which it doesn't look like you got) explaining that some of the old pages are still at the old address. I have asked the relevant technicians to kill them.
I also suggested that you delete all your bookmarks pointing to the forum and delete your browser cache. Then always start from www.systems-place.org.
I am sorry that I have caused you so much bother.

I share your concerns about the forum dieing. I would - I have put quite a lot of work in to it.
I am not sure if T306 actually has "forums" as we knew them from T214. If not then we "may" be saved.
Have fun what ever happens.
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:04 pm

i did get the email neill, i thought i had replied to it - sorry if i didn't! :-)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:19 pm

well what worries me is that there will be people who stroll past but don't bother to post anything, sometimes because they are perhaps afraid that if they don't post something systemsy and full of interesting references and relevant quotes and examples and all that, that they will somehow be seen as trivialising the boards function, and therefore they have a quick look and then stroll off again, but this is wrong, because the forum will die. If you walk past, you should post something, anything! say hi, tell us all about your day, post anything. Something might trigger off a whole conversation and you never know what that is until you start. Without people posting regularly this place will fail, it's a certainty. Which would be a bit tragic, frankly. It seems like there were loads of us and i know some may be having a bit of a rest before they 'start' again in the spring, but we can't take the risk of just waiting til then to see if it picks up. So people, get typing. It's not just up to andrea ( ok i wasn't going to name names, but he seems to be doing most of the posting, apart from neill, who has worked very hard setting this place up for us all) to keep things going, everyone has to chip in. We have talked in other threads about different cognitive styles and so forth, and this is important to think about in terms of posting to the message boards. Some people's style is to post quite analytical discussions and some people's style is more fluid or intuitive and some people like chatty posts and some people like informative ones and mostly, what we need is LOTS of posts, since that is the only way to please everybody. start SOMETHING! :-)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Chris Dann on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:48 pm

I'm replying, partly in response to your concern, but also because there are times when I read postings and really can't think of anything to say in reply, earth shattering or mundane, so I have to go without doing anything.
I too have noticed that there are only a very few of us keeping this going, which is a shame, but I guess that many who were quite active in the T214 fora have moved on to other things, or like I've been over the last few weeks, tied up with life that has left me no time for socializing online or off.
Other reasons why I sometimes don't make a response are because the topic is not of any interest to me or so challenging that I can't make an instant response, want to think about it, read around it, look at other websites and sometimes it is because a reason response would take time that I just don't have at that moment. Reading and responding to the many postings is quite time consuming, and sometimes I just dip in to see if there is anything that really has to be replied to, other wise I am just ensuring that I can keep the number of unread posting to a manageable number.
Does that make sense?
Chris
Chris Dann

Return to The Navel