The long tail of discussion fora.....

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

The long tail of discussion fora.....

Postby Andrea on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:47 pm

Teiana wrote: It's not just up to andrea ( ok i wasn't going to name names, but he seems to be doing most of the posting, apart from neill, who has worked very hard setting this place up for us all) to keep things going, everyone has to chip in.

I went to a presentation last week by a colleague at the OU who analysed discussion fora traffic in at least 10 different courses. He did a simple analysis where he mapped the number of individuals against the number of postings each had made. And guess what!? For every single discussion fora, there was a long tail distribution:

In other words, a few individuals dominated discussions. No matter which fora he looked at, this was always the case.

After having engaged with T214 block 1 and Barabasi's "Linked", it should come as no surprise.

Teiana wrote: Often they don't even seem to hear me at all.

This should also come as no surprise since, together with me, you are clearly one of those people that is happy to contribute a lot of postings to conferences! It is understandable if other people find it difficult to keep up with our level of postings, and I think it is unfair to impose these expectations on others. On the other hand, the fact that people are not responding does not actually imply that they are not reading your contributions :D

My colleague came up with the following classification of people engaging with discussion fora: "frequent-posters"; "rare-posters"; "readers"; and "phantoms" (i.e. those that are signed up to the discussion forum, but actually never visit). The long tail distribution found in all discussion fora indicates that this is almost a "natural law". I would recommend not expending too much energy fighting against this and instead accepting it as part of life. ;)

The key here is that the "frequent posters" don't give up......
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Re: The long tail of discussion fora.....

Postby Chris Dann on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 pm

Which side of the green/ yellow divide am I, do i want to be? :lol:
Chris
Chris Dann

Re: The long tail of discussion fora.....

Postby Andrea on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:57 pm

What a relief to log in today and find that I had been totally "wiped off" from the "most recent post" column on the board index page. It's lovely to see a bit of turnover in contributors :D
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Return to The Navel