T306 board forum posts forward thinking thread.

Where "we contemplate our own navels" to decide how this forum should evolve. What features do we need? Who decides what we need?

T306 board forum posts forward thinking thread.

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:17 pm

Come february there's going to be lots of T306 posts coming in. I started thinking we would need sub-boards in the T306 section, for each block, etc... to keep things tidy and keep the general threads separate...

but with all this talk of wikis and glossaries and interactivity... i started to wonder..

is there a way for us to create something such that the T306 forum posts actually grow into something other than a list?

I don't know if it's simply a question of having enough suitable sub-boards and getting people to stay on-topic in them.. or whether we could/or should create something else...

anyway we have ages before anything needs to be in place for this, but it's something to think about. Can we find out enough about the T306 structure to be able to create something it would slot into as the year goes on?

< :geek: hates untidy boards>
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: T306 board forum posts forward thinking thread.

Postby Dave H on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:31 pm

I am still looking at the details but I wonder if the Cohere software that Andrea mentioned in the T214 glossary thread might be a suitable tool for organising the various T306 posts.

For a long time I have been fascinated by the idea of where there are a number of people working on a project of using software to group ideas together where the people have not seen or realised the linkage. I am convinced that there could be many uses for such software. I have never seen anything that matched my ideas though I must admit that I have not done any serious research into the availability of such software.

These are just ideas and very much thinking aloud but agree it would be nice to have some tool for organising the posts.
Dave H

Postby Andrea on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:31 pm

Teiana wrote:Can we find out enough about the T306 structure to be able to create something it would slot into as the year goes on?

Well, the basic structure is:
-- 5 blocks each contributing to the first five TMAs;
-- the project, which is assessed in the last two TMAs (TMAs 06 and 07);
-- the exam in October

So I guess you would need at least eight distinct units (if you include an additional forum to discuss course wide issues e.g. what is, and what isn't, included within the Word count). On the other hand, I was debating this "separation of blocks into distinct fora" yesterday with colleagues and there is the disadvantage that people very quickly perceive older blocks as "history" and forget about their content -- so a single forum might allow people to resurface ideas (several people did go back and try to post things in older block fora but very little discussion ensued). I think this is even more important in T306 where the "systems thinking" component is much stronger compared to the disciplinary themes adopted in each block.

So, a single big and messy T306 forum might not be such a bad thing?

As an aside, I find it fascinating that Teiana is happy to live with a messy desk, but wants order in the digital world. Surely, life would be much easier the other way round? ;)
Have a look at the following video based on the brilliant book by David Weinberger "Everything is miscellaneous; the power of the new digital disorder"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CV05HyAbM
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:17 am

i think we probably need sub-boards for the next batch of T214'ers.. in the T214 forum..maybe at least a 'block one' board to start them off..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

I agree, I suggested likewise in the corresponding T306 thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=142
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 am

scuse me but please can we have a sub-board in T306 for 'project' ?

:-)

ta.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:28 am

and why DIDN'T the T214ers get subboards? it's clearly been put forward here.. it's no so much a problem for those going along now but it makes it difficult for next years batch to use this as a useful resource if there's no order.... by the time they are doing their ECA too they might want to be able to look back to a particular bit easily...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jamesWtc on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Teiana wrote:and why DIDN'T the T214ers get subboards?

I think only admin or moderator level can create subboards?
jamesWtc

Postby Teiana on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:04 pm

yes i know. but what has that got to do with the price of cheese?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jamesWtc on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Teiana wrote:yes i know. but what has that got to do with the price of cheese?

monopoly :) centrally controlled item :lol:
jamesWtc

Return to The Navel