Section 1 Cognitive Styles

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

Section 1 Cognitive Styles

Postby jamesWtc on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:09 pm

I did the test and the result put me into "Preference for intuitive ways of thinking" group. I wonder what the other groups are? Are there description else where?
jamesWtc

Re: Section 1 Cognitive Styles

Postby Teiana on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:59 pm

i think there's essentially only 'intuitive' and 'analytical' - these are considered to be extremes of a sliding scale.

However the real truth is that we all use both, just in different situations.

I know of many people who when making usual decisions etc choose an intuitive approach, or claim to: but who when under duress or stressed start to panic and instantly switch over to 'logic' mode - where they expect to be able to think their way out of a problem: when relaxed they are able to just sit back and trust the intuitive response. Of course when this itself is pushed to extremes it actually flips back the other way sometimes: people get REALLY into the stress zone and then even logic fails them and they resort BACK to the intuitive side: except now it's prayer and all that...

read the decisive moment as discussed elsewhere on this site - food for thought about the decision making process. Even though T214 tries ( bless it) to consider the intuitive/analytical thing, it actually only skims the ideas...

there's actually this whole thing about when we should and shouldn't use logic/intuition...

if you use intuition to choose a car, then great, because trying to buy one logically you'll wrap yourself in knots. whereas it's ok to choose your breakfast by logic, since theres less info.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:55 am

I seem to remember that I came out at the intuitive end of the scale which surprised me as I thought I was analytical.
But then I thought about it and realized that it is as Teiana says, we all do both to a greater or lesser extent.
When hurtling down a mountain and a deer jumps out in front of me, I am 100% intuitive.
When I have2 months to decide how to set up a new firm I am 100% analytical.
When I am employing people I start of analytical and end up intuitive.
Buying a car I am very analytical, mpg, cost of insurance, etc. Maybe the colour is intuition.
And so it goes on. Horses for courses I suppose.

have fun
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby QxQ on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:42 pm

This was my result:

Highest grade: 11 / 76.
Overall feedback

Preference for intuitive ways of thinking: People with an intuitive style of information processing tend to focus their attention on the ‘big picture’ rather than the details. It is often associated with an immediate sense of knowing. Intuitive thinking is unstructured and less constrained than analytical thinking. It involves the simultaneous processing of possible associations between stimuli and the synthesis of ideas.

and this was my husbands:

Highest grade: 73 / 76.
Overall feedback

Preference for analytical ways of thinking: People with an analytical style of information processing prefer to reflect on and assess all the available information before coming to a conclusion. They attend to details and adopt a step-by-step logical approach. Analytical thinking is deliberate, rational, rigorous, rule-based and involves linear processing.

Is kind of funny as I always accuse him of lack of initiative and urgency and he accuses me of diving in and always looking for something to do, but on the surface all people think I am practical down to earth logical one (maybe because I make decisions and do things, and he ponders, discusses, requires step by step instructions and can only do a single thing at the time)

I don't like analysing myself of or anyone else, as you said- people react in each environment and situation differently, often unpredictable-also, different company brings different sides to everyone, I am simply skeptical about this kind of testing.

So far 146 people is included in the poll, this is the distribution:

score 0-9 (0.7%) =1 person9
10-19 (6.2%) =9 people
20-29 (19.2%) =28
30-39 (19.9%) =29
40-49 (26.0%) =38
50-59 (18.5%) =27
60-69 (9.6%) =14
70-76 (0.0%) =0

I better go and read what it is all about - time to start the Block 2 :shock:
QxQ

Postby Teiana on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:53 am

post deleted by author no longer relevant
Last edited by Teiana on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:33 am

He stopped spamming :-)
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 am

thanks neill