when do you give up on a course?

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

Re: when do you give up on a course?

Postby Teiana on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:47 pm

I don't think awareness of these constraints means that we just give up.

no, neither do it, far from it.

i just think we need to not oversimplify the maths when looking at things like

This gives us a ratio of 1:6 in terms of theory to practice.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:53 pm

if i study a recipe for a cake, perhaps it takes 5 minutes to read it.
if i bake the same cake and it takes 30 minutes(plus longer to clear up, perhaps!), i have a ratio of theory to practice.... but in the end, i have only 'studied' the same thing.

Sure, i would say that it's better to study a cake making process by doing it, since afterwards you have cake to eat..

but a ratio of say 1:6 theory to practice, doesn't necessarily mean you have done six times more practice, if, to do an hours practice, it takes 5 hours preparation and clear-up time.

unless you get a better measure of delivering things both ways, we should be careful how we look at the maths of it. I can see the deliciousness of a 'simple example' but i don't think it reflects reality enough.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:56 pm

I really wish I had more opportunity to develop in practice the systems skills I have learned in theory.

Unfortunately the Systems residential course is no more, and I have missed the Systems course in Manchester run by Patrick Hovestad the last two years it ran due to other commitments.

I have tried to utilise skills such as diagramming within TMAs in the context of my work situation, but it would be nice to be in a more supported environment whilst still developing my skills.

Basically I haven't been brave enough to be open at work about the potential value of using such techniques, for the reasons above, and also due to the level of study I'm doing which has left little time for anything else.

So I'm left with the not completely satisfactory option of learning in principle, but not yet using in anger.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Previous

Return to T214 - OurStuff