Will be starting T214 next Feb 2011

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

Re: Will be starting T214 next Feb 2011

Postby susiearcher on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Pierre,

I've just got my course materials through for T214. I'm really excited about this course, I'm hoping it will help my work as a Systems Analyst.
If this goes well I shall be taking T306 next year and aiming to get a Technology degree.

Best of luck!

Susie
susiearcher

Postby rutty on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 am

My materials arrived too. It looks like we have to read a book, watch some telly and listen to a CD (among other things). :)

Looking forward to it, though not entirely sure how I'm going to find the time to do it all
rutty

Postby petrus on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:39 am

Hi Susie

Still waiting for my course materials :( Interesting to read that you are aiming for a Technology degree. I'm not quite sure yet whether to go for an Open degree or not. But the Technology degree looks interesting. Have you more modules to complete in order to gain your degree?
Good luck with the course and hope to collaborate very soon on this forum :)

Best regards
Pierre

susiearcher wrote:Hi Pierre,

I've just got my course materials through for T214. I'm really excited about this course, I'm hoping it will help my work as a Systems Analyst.
If this goes well I shall be taking T306 next year and aiming to get a Technology degree.

Best of luck!

Susie
petrus

Postby petrus on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:41 am

Hello Rutty

Hmmm. Agree. That's alot of work especially when studying after 9pm :roll: But the course sounds interesting and I am hoping that it will be worth staying up late studying for it ;)

rutty wrote:My materials arrived too. It looks like we have to read a book, watch some telly and listen to a CD (among other things). :)

Looking forward to it, though not entirely sure how I'm going to find the time to do it all
petrus

Postby javarunna on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi Guys,

Im starting T214 in Feb and hoping to do T306 next year enabling me to graduate for the Computing and systems practice degree.

My materials have arrived and Ive got stuck into a few chapters of the set book. Ive registered with delicious and created a bookmark, Ive never had a go at social book marking so that was interesting and its actually where I found a bookmark to here so clearly a very useful tool.

Please add me to your networks once you have created your accounts with delicious, Im javarunna. Oooo and Im studying in region 3 :)

Im hoping/praying for a grade 2 in this module so any advice on gaining those extra marks etc greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Michelle.
CertHE, CertIT(Open), DipComp(Open)
T171 - Passed
M150 - Passed
M253 - Passed
M255 - Passed
M263 - Passed
M257 - Passed
M362 - Passed
M256 - Passed
T214 - Feb 11

studying toward Diploma in systems practice and Bsc(Hons) Computing and Systems practice
javarunna

Postby Teiana on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:35 pm

welcome to the systems place javarunner... :-)
and its actually where I found a bookmark to here so clearly a very useful tool
i think that's great

how to get extra marks? hmm...

ooh it's hard to think back (i did T214 in 2008 i think)

1) read and answer the question. Yes i know that sounds insanely obvious, but i remember a conversation with my tutor before one of the tutorials, where they commented (in conversation) that one of the reasons i was doing well was that i Was, actually, answering the question, and the tutor said something along the lines of 'you'd be surprised how many people aren't ' [doing just that].

2) engage with the whole topic, and as soon as you think you have done that, step back, and engage with the WHOLE topic. It's all like fractals, and everythings nested in something else, and as long as you can wrap your brain around the whole russian dollness of it all, you're sorted.

3) try not to get sidetracked by 'issues' - effectively learning the T214 stuff is about grasping a communication method, a grammar, a set of building blocks. It is too easy to get too involved with a particular 'subject' and then get bogged down in the internal meaning rather than the overall patterns, structures, connections (and processes). We've all got our 'pet likes' eg. 'business' or 'the environment' or whatever, but whatever things you end up using as examples, experiments, or ways of demonstrating something, remember that the subjects are just examples...

4) enjoy it, have fun with it.

5) if there is a revision weekend and you can go, go. If there isn't, try and organise one, or organise to get together with your tutor group. It's quite important in systems stuff to get an angle on things that doesn't just come from your own brain.. and to look at how other people approach things. (and on that note i think it's important to try and get to all your tutorials).
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:47 pm

so any advice on gaining those extra marks etc greatly appreciated

Don't panic.
T214 is the only OU course I did where the answers to the TMA were not in the course material.
You read the whole block and then get a question in the TMA and think "we didn't learn that".
Actually you did learn it but you didn't notice you had learned it.

In the thread at http://systems-place.org/viewtopic.php? ... pter#p2115
I wrote

Being on a jungle survival course where they told you the start was at a camp in the middle of the jungle and to get there yourself.
There were no real directions to the camp and when you asked you were told to keep looking.
Occasionally Andrea flew overhead in a helicopter shouting cryptic instructions (which you either didn't understand or couldn't properly hear).
The wild animals, cannibals, poisonous plants, swamps, etc. were all there but you learned to deal with them or went mad.
Eventually you found the camp but it was almost impossible to find a way in.

At the end of the block you were in the camp, sat down, ate your first non-wiggling meal and said "When does the course start?"
And Andrea said "you just finished it!"
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby javarunna on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 pm

hi guys

Thanx for that. I am really looking forward to the course and its the first year Im just doing one so hopefully can throw everything into it.

I have quite an analytical brain and kinda rip things to pieces and love to see connections in things, my problem is I often make connections that arent there lol....whether or not thats just a characteristic of females Im not sure :/

Ive read the first few chapters of the set book and it had me thinking of all sorts of things network wise, obviously initially the net and world wibe web as these are areas Ive studied in programming, but then I was applying it to my own social networks, cells, the spread of diseases, O-O programs and their code, and even how all my electrical equipment forms a network...I can see it everywhere, so am looking forward to understanding more about their complexities etc....I often think about how things are connected and confuse myself as things are so interralated it quickly becomes an immense network and my poor brain cannot visualise the vastness anymore :/

Im glad this course doesnt give you direct answers to the tma questions, it will be my first! Hopefully as you say I will learn and 'just know' the answer because Ive 'really' understood the material and subject area, fingers crossed!

I know what you mean about answering 'the question being asked' Ive heard of this from a previous uni tutor also....some folks tend to go off on a waffle and completely waste precious words talking about everything barring the question!....anyways before I waffle on anymore...I shall head off.

Thanks again for your friendly hello's I will be checking in regularly :)

Kind regards,

Michelle
CertHE, CertIT(Open), DipComp(Open)
T171 - Passed
M150 - Passed
M253 - Passed
M255 - Passed
M263 - Passed
M257 - Passed
M362 - Passed
M256 - Passed
T214 - Feb 11

studying toward Diploma in systems practice and Bsc(Hons) Computing and Systems practice
javarunna

Postby Angela on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi everyone
I will also be starting T214 on the fateful day of 12 Feb 2011. I have been thinking of taking this course for so long and have finally jumped to it when I realised it may soon be too late.
I completed T175 last year which was a 30 pointer. As this course is a 60 pointer and a level 2 as well I am wondering how it will all end :shock:
I have the materials and have looked it all over to get an overall idea of structure and content. Am now wondering whether to plough into the set book and get a head start?
Best wishes
Angela
Angela

Postby Neill on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Hello Angela,
Welcome to the systems place and I wish you all the best for T214.
Don't be put off. It is a fun course that really teaches you something.
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

PreviousNext

Return to T214 - OurStuff