Intuition

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

Re: Intuition

Postby jim_lewis1 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:04 am

This item goes some way to undermine the 'faith' we put in our reasoning abilities. We're not as ratioal as we would like to believe!

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2011/ ... ris-mooney
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:55 pm

i enjoyed reading that, but i think my brain has melted in all this april heat. I think i know that when i read things, i read them with a bias that means i see as more significant (and having a higher value) things which support my existing worldviews. But when i read things that say this is true, i get confuzzled as to whether it actually is true, or whether my brain just wants it to be. a bit like trying to draw a systems map and not knowing whether 'me having my world view' is outside or inside 'me reading about my having a world view about the fact that if i read something that supports what i believe i will believe it more strongly' no, see it's no good i can't even explain it. But i don't know which is the chicken and which is the egg.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Excellent article! but I would argue that the paper's focus is more on illustrating the roots of "thinking traps" rather than a critique of intuition vs rationality.

We know that intuition is better at dealing with highly complex situations when the person making the intuitive judgement has extensive experience of the subject matter. However, this shouldn't preclude the use of an appropriate methodology to "weed out" the potential thinking traps that that person may have fallen into when making their judgement.

Going back to the article -- Kahan's research is completely new to me, but it's absolutely fascinating to see that he uses similar character traits as Michael Thompson: individualists; hierarchists and communitarians/egalitarians. its really helped in joining up the dots between character traits and the kind of thinking traps these characters fall into.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby rutty on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:55 am

jim_lewis1 wrote:This item goes some way to undermine the 'faith' we put in our reasoning abilities. We're not as ratioal as we would like to believe!

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2011/ ... ris-mooney

Loved that article. Thanks for posting the link.

I've heard of Chris Mooney before - usually when he's being critisised by PZ Myers for being an accomodationist. However, found that this article appealed to my own set of values and I think it's very pertinent indeed for T214 and the thinking traps therein.

Good read, thanks

Dave
rutty

Previous

Return to T214 - OurStuff