Intuition

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

Intuition

Postby rutty on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:21 pm

.. we need to learn to use a range of techniques which allow us to subconsciously integrate a vast range of potential relationships in order to identify the key feedback processes in operation within a complex situation. Unfortunately, our modern society’s emphasis on rational and mechanical interpretations have downplayed this wonderful intuitive ability to integrate and process complexity. Systems thinking reinstates intuition as a significant skill in understanding complexity..

...from Block 2 Intro, OU T214 site

I'm going to find this very hard...

*edited to avoid any potential copyright issues*
Last edited by rutty on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
rutty

Re: Intuition

Postby Teiana on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 pm

if that paragraph is from course materials you are probably breaking copyright rules. This isn't an OU site, it's a public place. It's quite a large paragraph and you haven't even credited it to anything.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:44 am

Hi Rutty,
For me the best example of intuition is when I reach out and grab a cricket ball flying towards me.
I do not calculate speeds, accelerations, angles or three dimensional vectors.
I "just do it" and often catch the ball.

This is, for me, the proof that intuition works even when you don't have time for calculation.

Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby rutty on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:51 am

Teiana wrote:if that paragraph is from course materials you are probably breaking copyright rules. This isn't an OU site, it's a public place. It's quite a large paragraph and you haven't even credited it to anything.

You are quite right. Have chopped it right back so that it comes under "fair use"
rutty

Postby rutty on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:57 am

Neill wrote:Hi Rutty,
For me the best example of intuition is when I reach out and grab a cricket ball flying towards me.
I do not calculate speeds, accelerations, angles or three dimensional vectors.
I "just do it" and often catch the ball.

This is, for me, the proof that intuition works even when you don't have time for calculation.

Neill

Thanks Neill, yes I kind of get how the block is going to go. I'm quite into my sciences and up 'til now trusted in reductionism. I'm finding it a little difficult to break out of that habit, or even accept that there's anything wrong with reductionism itself.

I think there's much to be learnt in this block. I like how they're setting out the activities and getting us think about working out the problems. I know I often use intuition automatically, but it's the application of that that's worrying me!

By the way, I've no intention of breaking any copyright laws so do let me know if you think the quote I've put from the OU block introduction is a no-no. I could paraphrase something in its stead if needs be

Cheers

Dave
rutty

Postby Neill on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi Rutty,
Glad I was not the only person to reach this "dilemma".
As an ex programmer, I always dismantled things until I found the problem.
But nowadays as a manager I find that taking a "system" apart just kills it rather than leting me see how it works.
Have fun
Neill
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby Neill on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:43 am

Two years ago I quoted Schön here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=413&p=4501&hilit=intuition#p4501
Still think it is great what he wrote. And still think I am moving further in to the swamp.
Neill

P.S. Off for a 200km cycle ride now. Back tomorrow evening :-)
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:50 am

what's the difference between intuition and 'what your senses tell you?' I'm not asking for an answer i'm just floating a point for discussion..

we know that (acting on) 'reason' means we're acting on having assembled information and 'worked it out', and (acting on) 'intuition' is sometimes thought of as 'doing that but very very quickly', but mostly considered to be an automatic instinct...

i'm not sure we pay enough attention to acting not on instinct 'blindly' or on 'reason' (a 'slow' calculation) but on paying close attention to all sensory inputs. Sometimes we do things which at the time seem like a reflex (feels like the ball catching) but if thought about afterwards we realise we had more information than we realised. Like braking to avoid a hazard even though we're not quite sure why, then realising we saw something or heard something to make us do that..

it's like there's maybe three ways to look at this not just 'intuition VS reason'..

intuition (feels like a reflex) eg, 'randomly picking horse in race' ' i just had a feeling about it'
reason (feels like we worked it out and then decided) eg, 'i studied the form and phoned the trainers and this is the best choice'
senses (can 'steer' either intuition or reason, but where we ignore it most is where it steers intuition, since in the reasoning process we're more likely to have noticed that we noticed) eg, 'thinking we randomly picked horse, but realising we picked it because the jockey was wearing red spots and last time we won, the jockey wore that'...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:57 am

we should pay more discussion time to the 'gathering sensory information' part of the thing. Whether that is sight, sound, touch, whatever..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jamesWtc on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:11 am

The Chinese word for intuition is 直觉, which can be literally translated as "direct-sense". It is very self explanatory.

Intuition for me is, you just know what it is without any thinking. It is the first thought (or rather, an idea or a feeling) that comes to you when you approach a problem. It happens at subconscious level, from a trained mind.

Experts, skilled/experienced workers rely on their intuition very much.
jamesWtc

Next

Return to T214 - OurStuff