Intuition

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

Re: Intuition

Postby Neill on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:39 am

James wrote
Experts, skilled/experienced workers rely on their intuition very much.

which suggests that you learn intuition.
This agrees with my cricket ball example. A three year old will miss the ball. An 18 year old may catch it.
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby rutty on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks for the replies. It's very interesting how others think about this.

I've been very dismissive about intuition in the past, although I think it's because I've experienced quite a few examples of people using intuition through ignorance; that is, making decisions based on what they think best without having enough basic knowledge to make an informed decision.

I'm finding this adjustment to my thinking process to be intuitively difficult ;)

I will get there, though. Cheers!

Dave
rutty

Postby Teiana on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:10 pm

I've been very dismissive about intuition in the past, although I think it's because I've experienced quite a few examples of people using intuition through ignorance; that is, making decisions based on what they think best without having enough basic knowledge to make an informed decision.

mmm, two danger zones i think, the first, where as you say, people don't have enough basic knowledge and rely on guesswork, it's not necessarily true intuition just laziness... and the other, where people are arrogant or use the idea of trusting their intuition as a way of getting their own way 'trust me, i'm a doctor/lawyer/whatever... ' 'i don't need to show how this will work, i 'just know' ' (whether they do or not).
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:12 pm

and some people like to make it look like they are good at using their intuition so as to keep their methods a secret. the sort of people that want to be thought of as indispensible. so they'll claim intuition, but really have worked it out already.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:18 pm

actually now i am reminded of my grandmothers pride at being able to work out maths figures in her head. I remember at school some people with calculators would work things out and use the calculator to check they were right - whereas older people who were used to working things in their head would use mental arithmetic to check the machine was working properly! I think a generation or so of people getting into the habit of using the calculator to check their own reasoning has weakened our faith in our own intuition and knowing that something is right. people are more confident now if they can see the 'working out' because they are not living in a world where everyone did mental arithmetic and imagine now if we did, and we were all used to trusting each other to be able to work things out without relying on machines to do it. Mostly we don't trust others to do calculations we can't figure ourselves.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby rutty on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 am

This course is really helping me examine all the thinking traps I've fallen into over the years. I don't know why they don't teach this at school. Why don't they teach you how to think?

(maybe they do these days - it's been over 20 years since I was in school...)
rutty

Postby Teiana on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:02 pm

because traditional education was about preparing people to work in factories or go out and be cannon fodder in the army, not about creating 'thinkers'. In the 60's people were trained up while in companies for lifelong careers with those companies, school leavers who did too much thinking would just be a liability and question everything. Only since about the 80's, 90's etc have people not being going into long careers with one firm, and there's more benefit in having thinkers who can transfer skills from one place to another, everyone now doesn't need to be trained to have a particular corporate mindset to fit a certain role.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:32 pm

traditional education was about preparing people to work in factories or go out and be cannon fodder in the army

and when I look at the rubbish that my three children are learning today, not enough has changed.
They still learn "things" instead of methods.
Bit depressing really

Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Andrea on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:49 pm

intuition can be mistaken for 'laziness' when it's not followed up by a rigourous assessment of whether the intuitive action has resulted in the desired outcome. I would argue that using intuition is as challenging as using rational thinking, except that people are rarely trained in evaluating intuitive judgements.

Neill wrote:and when I look at the rubbish that my three children are learning today, not enough has changed.
They still learn "things" instead of methods.

conventional education certainly doesn't teach intuitive methods of investigation :roll:
Last edited by Andrea on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:53 pm

oooh you're back! welcome home! :)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

PreviousNext

Return to T214 - OurStuff