Messy Situation

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

Re: Messy Situation

Postby Neill on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:27 pm

I think that your suggestion is a great topic.
It is a subject that can not be measured and every one will have a different idea of where the problem lies.
Sounds like the perfect mess to me.
Have fun and keep us informed.
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby petrus on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks Neill. Am finding this TMA somewhat tough and the summer heat and two job interviews this week is certainly not helping at all :(
petrus

Postby Andrea on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:58 am

jim_lewis1 wrote:i'd think low morale is probably a symptom of various other factors in a messy situation.

Looks like there is a need for a multiple cause diagram and/or a sign graphs here. If these techniques kick up only one dominant cause with no other factors feeding in, then it is a difficulty/tame problem. I suspect that quite a few factors are involved though -- might be worth sharing the first draft of a diagram with colleagues to see what they come up with?
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:48 am

i remember working somewhere where the morale was low, actually a couple of places. sometimes low morale can actually act to bring workers together, making them less competitive and more 'we're all in this mess together' .. what might be the adverse effects of raising morale? will the best of the bunch just get up the strength to leave? is maintaining a situation of low morale, (even though it's bad overall) giving some short term payoffs, unthoughtof benefits?

when i worked somewhere that was closing down, everyone was miserable, but, more empathy towards each other was apparent.

people like to have something or someone to blame when they feel bad, and being able to blame the overal conditions/bosses can stop people blaming each other.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:52 pm

I've just watched this as part of the OU MBA course i'm on, it seems strangely appropriate to this discussion!

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/it-at-work/ ... -39284425/
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:50 pm

that's alarming, and strangely unsurprising all at once. i mean, i knew a lot of those things were true but i never in a million years imagined a company doing it on purpose! i am reminded of the army, having watched that, and how they kick all the life out of soldiers so their morale is stupidly low, and then build back up the people they want, brainwashing them to act as part of a giant animal of people.. i guess it's the same thing..

how can you make the workers happy if the workers being miserable is in the interests of the company and the company doing well is in the interests of the workers?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:55 pm

looking at another article from that link http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/networking/ ... /#comments

if the guyanans can have internet why not the welsh, neill, can you fix that while you're fixing south america? we would be happy to help you spend the 2 million..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:57 pm

hey forget the 2 million let's have 16 million instead...
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/communicat ... -10023157/
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:03 pm

back to morale though, they said something in the video about people being happy with less when they are demotivated and have low self-esteem, when things are really terrible at work even small stuff like someone figuring out how to open a window or someone bringing in a bag of sweets can make people feel better. Yet people who are basically happy won't be impressed by such things, they want more, like good pension funds and ergonomically designed furniture.

when i have worked in places the lowest days included things like the building flooding or trying to work with no electricity. It's really rubbish when that happens, like, you all just want to close up and go home, but some boss somewhere says here's a torch and a pencil, carry on working..

i have promised myself that one day i shall have a job where i never, ever, have to empty the bins. see that is pretty much the extent of my ambition, the rest was sucked out of me by a succession of demotivating jobs.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:09 pm

I realised after posting the link that i forgot to mention that it is of course archly ironic. Although you might think that some companies eanrestly pursue such policies from the way they are managed.

I think it is supposed to represent exactly the opposite of how to motivate people in order to make people think about what they should be doing!
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

PreviousNext

Return to T214 - OurStuff