re Collaboration Exercise and TMA07!

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

re Collaboration Exercise and TMA07!

Postby petrus on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi all

I've reached the final phase of this module and the EMA deadline is fast approaching. Us overseas students had an unpleasant surprise where we were told that the EMA could not be uploaded electronically but had to be mailed via courier/registered post to the OU! This is going to have the effect of slicing off a number of days from the preparatory time because in order to make sure that it arrives on time I would have to send it by courier at least 4/5 days before the deadline. :x

I am finding the collaboration exercise and TMA07 an additional burden to an already tight schedule. They require alot of work in my opinion and I am already feeling burnt out :( Has everyone done these? Are they essential to doing them? I know that the TMA07 carries no marks but is formative and so can help towards writing the EMA.

Would appreciate your comments.

Cheers!
petrus

Re: re Collaboration Exercise and TMA07!

Postby Teiana on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:06 pm

my technique for that would be to get all the referencing done for the EMA, get the documents ready as much as possible..imagine yourself two days before the deadline and think about what you might be panicking to do, and do it now. it's much quicker to delete stuff you don't need than trawl about searching for something you have lost...
do TMA07, but don't lose sleep over the collaboration. Keep your mind on the EMA. I think it's worth doing tma07 if you can, but set yourself a realistic deadline to complete it and stick to that.

i have an EMA/ECA looming. I made a list of all the tasks i thought it would involve, eg, 'online research' or 'proof-reading'..
i added up how long i thought each would take ( roughly, in days) so eg, 3 days, half a day.

The total came to 38.5 days

Separately i added up the days i have between now and the deadline. Well, two days before it to be exact, as i know that is the clearance i need to make sure it arrives on time. For you, that will be longer. I knocked off some time i shall be on holiday, and allowed that i would average 3 hours a day studying. I won't, of course, but you need a ball-park figure to go on. Anyway, the total added to....
38 days.

oh my goodness. Well on the one hand i was impressed with the coincidence but on the other, it rather means that it will, definitely, take every spare minute i have. Yesterday, i did an hour, and today, nothing so far. Which means, even after two days, i am (2+3) hours behind, 5 hours behind. After 2 days!!
So for the next week i have to be looking at averaging 4 hours a day, not three.. to catch up.

anyway point is, you can do the same sort of maths, for your EMA, then, having worked out the time you can spend on that, figure out what you have spare for TMA07/collaborating.

You don't have to stick to the timing you come up with ( you won't, unless you are a robot) but an awareness of it helps.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:12 pm

for T214 i seem to remember the EMA requiring a certain amount of diagramming. This was done by me rather at the last minute. It's actually quite tough to work out how much time to spend on the diagramming. On the one hand you want them to look great, but on the other, the purpose of them is to communicate something, and, as long as that purpose is achieved, that is enough. Try and get your diagrams done ahead of time and get the printed copies ready, don't leave that til the last minute. Don't forget either, if you are sending printed copies, as long as they are all identical when sent, it's ok to make handwritten changes if necessary. For example on mine, the printouts had boundaries which i had not made clear enough, i inked in over them in pen to make the diagram better.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby petrus on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks for your helpful advice :)
petrus

Return to T214 - OurStuff