TMA 07, EMA and group work

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

TMA 07, EMA and group work

Postby jsp_1983 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:35 am

Any tips? We're in the middle of our week of group work at the moment; I feel we could be doing with a bit more motivation to pull something together. To be honest, the whole thing is just a bit confusing, so any moments of clarity to share with me are appreciated!
jsp_1983

Re: TMA 07, EMA and group work

Postby Teiana on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 am

close your eyes and run eventually you will come out on the other side. Our group work was, in my eyes, a complete disaster but in fact the tutor was happy enough with it even though i felt it had not at all gone the way i wanted it to. Don't over-think the group effort, it's not going to help. Just observe what happens and make notes on the experience - you will learn more from observing/reflecting on it than you will from controlling the output of the group. If people are behaving strangely just think about how you can react to that, what effects it is having, how things connect together, and how things might look from different people's perspectives.

work your backside off on TMA07 and then double your efforts for the EMA. treble them. quadruple them.... you get the picture. I didn't sleep for about 5 days at the end....well, almost. it's worth the effort, push yourself hard.

group workers: without even seeing your group you probably have some of these people in it:

the nit-picker who thinks what matters is being exact, and having everyone exactly agree, and that it is vital to spend time on team-building and making the group function even if that takes time away from getting the end result done or isn't in the best interests of individuals. Owns highlighter pens and isn't afraid to use them.

the busy-bee who has a stack of other stuff to do and either a) hasn't time to contribute at all or b) contributes by jumping in before anything has been agreed, churning out several pages of good quality work but that has nothing to do with 'group working' then insists they have done their bit and will now be leaving it to everyone else to sort out - thus forcing everyone else to have to go along with their way of doing things.

the undecided - this person needs constant reassurance so won't get much done unless everyone else has been asked

the paired-up-couple - two 'best mates' who happen to live next door/are telepathically connected who get stuff done but exclude the rest of the group

the AWOL - this person's just uncontactable. Probably in Rio.

the behind-schedule-person - they're miles behind already so hoping everyone else in the group will help them catch up. also likely to promise work but be late producing it sometimes holding up the group.

the hopelessly lost - this person is happy to contribute but produces stuff that isn't what was agreed, or, goes off at a tangent, or produces stuff that is so riddled with errors it would have been quicker for someone else to have written it since now the group is having to fix it.

the over-stressed - this person's getting left holding the baby, they're getting it all dumped on them (or feel as if they are) by other team members and they're paralysed by resentment. So they just yell a lot, or mutate into one of the other types.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:06 am

also, if i remember correctly, at the time we did our group work, many many people had completely mis-heard/mis-understood the question. So be very careful! Wrong answers* might not actually matter, but losing time that you don't need to spend could be disastrous. (* if the tutor understands your interpretation and gives you credit for the effort)
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi,
I agree with everything Teiana wrote.
I also think that it is the experience that is most important. I seem to remember that our group "thing" went quite well but only because we ignored the fact that some were doing "nothing".
And I just checked my TMA07 and it looks like I could have answered all the questions even if the collaborative work had never taken place.

As Teiana sid - you are near the end so just give it everything.
And remember to have fun and look forward to your "I survived T214" badge
:-)
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby jsp_1983 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Looks like there are more personalities in Teiana's list than actual people in my group :p

There are four of us actively working, so that's a 2/3rd's turnout.

I didn't do so well on TMA07, but I think that's because I perhaps misunderstood something that just was not obvious at all. I'm absolutely going to work towards getting that 85%, though. It would be a small coup for me to get a distinction in something. I just need to get my shizzle together - feels like everything's all over the place with the readings etc (this block really doesn't follow a linear path).
jsp_1983

Postby Neill on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Hope you hit the 85%.
Just shout when you need advice.
Or at least tell us when you get the 85% :-)
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby jsp_1983 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:24 pm

We'll see! That would be a superb achievement for me, if I could achieve it.

I could really do with making much more progress, though. I'm still reading through the block materials.
jsp_1983

Postby jsp_1983 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:23 am

This EMA has consumed the remnants of my cognitive abilities :|

I feel as if its line of questioning has been quite 'foggy', to the extent that I'm unsure if I've interpreted some of the questions correctly. Eugh.
jsp_1983

Postby Teiana on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:42 am

the lightbulb moment will arrive when you realise that the whole point is that systems questions ARE foggy, complex, unanswerable.... if the question had an obvious answer, why would you need systems thinking?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jsp_1983 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Submitted it on Friday. Eugh.

Still trying to make sense of what I was supposed to have been doing - it was mostly a dirge of half-baked ideas, as if I'd been given a bucket of diluted systems concepts and techniques and a big paint brush to flick at the walls.
jsp_1983

Next

Return to T214 - OurStuff