Results are in!

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

Results are in!

Postby Woody on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 am

Results from last outing of T214 are now available
Woody

Re: Results are in!

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:13 am

not sure if that's sad or exciting. i mean, 'exciting' about the 'results' part but sad about the 'last' part. good luck people.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jsp_1983 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:16 pm

They are?! :o
jsp_1983

Postby jsp_1983 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Just checked...

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUU... Distinction :D
jsp_1983

Postby Teiana on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:24 pm

top banana!
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jsp_1983 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:09 am

Really wasn't expecting it, given that I'd felt so at sea with the EMA and was just throwing concepts and terms in towards the end. I still feel as if I've fluked it, rather than had that genuine sense of confidence about my efforts.

Hoping I can get some feedback on the EMA now.
jsp_1983

Postby Teiana on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:06 am

aha but yes but no but

i think we've had the debate in these boards before about 'experts'. confidence is a problem it leads to assumptions. your lack of confidence is actually part of what got you the distinction, if you'd had more confidence you'd have been more likely to think in a fixed way rather than be 'systems thinking' and considering all the options and perspectives. systems thinking makes people less sure, less confident, but that then makes it less likely you'll disappear up a blind alley.

honestly, it's fine, we all did that 'throw concepts in' thing.

they say if the only tool you have is a hammer you will see every problem as a nail.

when you have a lot of tools.. you're systems thinking!
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:51 pm

@ jsp_1983
Congratulations.
I wouldn't worry about the feeling that you passed without knowing what was happening.
We all passed like that.
So what is next?
Have fun
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby jsp_1983 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm still wondering 'what' exactly it was that I took away from the course; obviously, I expect it to be nebulous, rather than something substantive that I can point to. There are bits here and there that I can remember and am reusing in T889, but I think if someone was to ask me to talk about it for five minutes, I'd be stuck - rather like when people ask what the course is about ("oh, it's about systems and how things interrelate and stuff, erm...").

I've moved on to T889, as it's the only slightly relevant module that I could move on to as part of my Technology programme. As it's postgrad, I've had to fork out a lot more for it. I was hoping for a lot more interaction and discussion. I'm also having to do a mandatory 30 credits at Level 1, so I chose TM128, Microsoft Server Technologies. I don't want to do anything IT-related, but I might as well do something that offers something useful to me and is an easy pass.

After that... T211 (Design and Designing), T307 (Innovation and somethingorother) and then another 30 credits at Level 3 in something like E-commerce or multimedia technologies.

To be honest, I'm far more interested in having the time and opportunity to get to learn outside of these modules and put things in to practise. I'm itching to do some collaborative stuff in areas of interest and to be able to discuss ideas and ask questions.

I think I've found the diploma that people were on about in another thread. I'm unable to claim a systems diploma, but it looks like I can claim a design diploma - https://msds.open.ac.uk/students/study/ ... spx?qc=d43 - I'm just wondering if, with only being allowed to pursue one award under the old fees scheme, I'd be allowed to claim it.
jsp_1983

Postby Neill on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:18 pm

but I think if someone was to ask me to talk about it for five minutes, I'd be stuck

I eventually settled on telling people "Buddhist management" if they were just asking out of interest.
Maybe the answer is partly influenced by reading The Leader's Way co-authored by the Dalai Lama.
If the person asking is maybe going to be offering me work then I say "complexity management".

The most important thing I took away from T214 was that "there is not A reality" but rather many of them existing concurrently in the actors heads.
That has made my life and my job so much easier. If some one does not agree or wants to "do it differently" then that is OK. In her reality that is the way to do it. Maybe her reality has aspects that I have not considered and mine is at fault.

T307 (Innovation and somethingorother)

Good choice. My last course and great fun. Sounds like "hard" engineering but is all super fluffy and you can do anything you want as long as you justify it.

itching to do some collaborative stuff in areas of interest and to be able to discuss ideas and ask questions

Distance learning is just not the best environment for that. But I am now working on a project with Andrea and friends which seems to be offering me plenty of that.

have fun
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Next

Return to T214 - OurStuff