Results are in!

For discussions of the Open University's T214 Systems course.

Re: Results are in!

Postby jsp_1983 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:30 am

I'm really interested in the hackerspace and unschooling movements - amongst many other, disparate areas that all seem to come together in a strangely systemsy way. There are projects on Ideo.org that picque my interest and it's great that they're all online, but there's certainly something to be said about being able to meet face-to-face, have a few drinks and get scissors, card and sticky tape out.

Mind if I ask what the project you're working on is?
jsp_1983

Postby Neill on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:07 pm

Mind if I ask what the project you're working on is?

No. Not at all. The overall project is huge and I am not envious of Andrea trying to pull it all together with many partners across Europe.
But my bit is about building a sustainable system to provide Internet for a set of communities in the Rupununi in Guyana.
Technically it is "relatively" easy. A central upload via satellite or fiber and then distribution to the communities via directional wireless.
But the challenge is to pack the whole system in such a way that it can be run by people without a technical background without the support of a technically developed community. The lack of income and the low population density also add to the challenge.
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby jsp_1983 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:30 am

Presumably the technical challenge is at the point of implementation, rather than use and maintenance? I mean, if the system is already set up, it could be supported remotely, couldn't it?
jsp_1983

Postby Teiana on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:59 am

hahaha, that's like when you phone BT to tell them your broadband isn't working, and the recorded message cheerfully suggests that to avoid waiting on the phone and prevent all their operators from being tied up you should check out their online help instead. *bangs head against wall at uselessness of BT customer service*
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:15 pm

if the system is already set up, it could be supported remotely, couldn't it?

As long as there is a working connection from "Mission control" here in Germany to the device you are having the problem with then you can use remote support. Examples are "not working fast enough", "add user", "update firmware", etc.
But if you can not reach the equipment then things are more exciting.
Examples are "satellite dish knocked off line by animal", "power line unplugged", "antenna committed suicide", etc.
All no problem here. Get on the mobile and talk to some one with a bit of technical experience or get in the car and drive an hour.
But what do you do if there is no mobile network, no one who has technical experience and no roads?
That is where it gets exciting
and fun
:-)

... at uselessness of BT customer service

I love it. Who needs advertising when your competition are so customer friendly :-)
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby zhaodandan on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:00 am

If you are performing troubles correctly you could create a large choice of your remarkable choice of even significantly much more income every individual and every individual and every individual single and each and just about every just about every several quite a few time by basically performing seriously small aside from planting pretty plenty of organic remedy techniques by indicates in your lawn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Diablo 3 gold | spam2 Gold | Runescape Gold
zhaodandan

Previous

Return to T214 - OurStuff