Russell Ackoff on BBC Radio 4

I guess the name speaks for its self.

Russell Ackoff on BBC Radio 4

Postby Andrea on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Surprised to see no postings on this today :? can't be possible that everyone missed it???? :roll:

Anyway, there was an absolutely amazing program on Russell Ackoff last night:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pr72d#synopsis

Fantastic quotes extracted out of an interview carried out three years ago. I absolutely love the way he crucifies traditional academic teaching :mrgreen:

a synthesis of the program can be found here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/in ... /20100114/

Really worth a listen! Gets you really fired up :D

They're repeating it on Sunday and am planning to recorded it on tape (unless somebody knows of a clever way of digitally recording live radio programs?)

Pity there's no link to T214 on the radio 4 website :(
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Re: Russell Ackoff on BBC Radio 4

Postby jim_lewis1 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:37 pm

You could just play it from the BBC iPlayer link you posted and record it using mp3mymp3.

http://www.mp3mymp3.com/

simples
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:31 pm

i never go to radio four unless i get dragged there by someone. Nothing against it really just that in my head it's always 'the archers' cos my mum used to sometimes (well, all the time) listen to that in the car when we were little, and i remember having to wait in the car sometimes so she could hear the end..
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby scootrider on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Andrea,

Thanks for the heads up. Like Teiana I rarely listen to radio four but you are right, this is well worth a listen.

I have just posted the link to my boss, -- some useful quotes for him to use when reviewing our department for our parent organisation.

Thanks
"It is better to do the right thing incorrectly than to keep doing the wrong thing better and better". Russell Ackoff (1995)
T214-08, T306-09, T206-10, U316-11
scootrider

Postby Andrea on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:08 pm

scootrider wrote: some useful quotes for him to use when reviewing our department for our parent organisation.

there is a keynote speech he made In 2004 (http://www.acasa.upenn.edu/RLAConfPaper.pdf ) which is also full of useful quotes for bosses:

The objectives that must be changed in transformations are not usually those that
are proclaimed; rather they are the ones actually pursued. For example, most
corporations proclaim maximization of shareholder value as their primary objective.
Any objective observer of corporate behavior knows that this is an illusion. As a
study conducted a while back at GE showed, the principal objective of
corporations is to maximize the security, standard of living, and quality of life of
those making the decisions. Recent disclosures at Enron and WorldCom, among
others, made this abundantly clear.

Looks like the current round of bank bonus payments (rather than prioritising dividends after a meagre couple of years for shareholders) makes Ackoff's statements truer than ever! ;)

However, he meets out equivalent criticism towards academia:

A similar discrepancy between objective proclaimed and objective practiced can
be observed in most organizations. For example, one could mistakenly believe
that the principal objective of universities is to educate students. What a myth!
The principal objective of a university is to provide job security and increase the
standard of living and quality of life of those members of the faculty and
administration who make the critical decisions. Teaching is a price faculty
members must pay to share in the benefits provided. Like any price, they try to
minimize it. Note that the more senior and politically powerful teaching members
of the faculty are, the less teaching they do.

The evidence: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 934706.ece
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Andrea on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:10 pm

jim_lewis1 wrote:You could just play it from the BBC iPlayer link you posted and record it using mp3mymp3.

http://www.mp3mymp3.com/

simples

Brilliant! Thanks for that, Jim :-)

In future readers of this post would like a copy, then send me a message through this forum and I'll e-mail it to you. ;)
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Andrea on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Somebody just made me aware of this tribute to ackoff by senge. I really liked it :mrgreen:

A Tribute to Russ Ackoff by Peter Senge

Russ was an inspiration and mentor to many of us, as one of the true pioneers of the systems perspective in management. He probably understood the systems perspective in its historical evolution as well or better than anyone, and saw this age as the one where many forces might converge in helping to shift the tragically reductionistic and fragmented thinking that dominates modern institutions, from business to government to schools.

For me Russ was an incisive, lifelong critic of the modern organizational form. He saw its limitations and argued for radical redesign. He advocated for major re-visioning and processes of change that started with helping people see what they truly valued and where they truly wanted to get - and then working backwards to see what it would take to get there. Anything less would simply lead to naive incrementalism, where 90% of what had been would be preserved while people tinkered around the edges with change that would never amount to "too much change." Russ was not worried about too much change.

I think Russ gave us all courage to be bold, while also appreciating that the overall undertaking is still in its infancy. The inherited traditions over generations toward patriarchy, authoritarian views of leadership, and rigid systems of institutional power will not change in a generation. The physicist David Bohm believed that the root source of our deepest problems stemmed from "fragmentation" of thought, which he felt had its origins in the agricultural revolution and the perceived separation of human and nature. Obviously the "systems revolution" that Russ foresaw and helped to launch will unfold over generations not years. How long will it take before we can give up the cultural myth of domination over nature, that nature exists to serve our needs? How long before we shed the perceptual habit of objectification, "seeing" the other as a separate object as opposed to a distinct being that inter-depends with our own being? How long will we preserve the belief that power comes from institutional position versus connection to the creative flow of the universe? It is easy to feel daunted by such questions - but I think that too comes from a shallow appreciation of the systems perspective. The forces for change come from "life's longing for itself," not from ego-based human striving. I believe Russ sensed this and for this reason encouraged us all to simply do what we can, knowing that there is a much large river into which our efforts flow.

Peter Senge
MIT and SoL
February 3, 2010.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:58 pm

go away spammer - if you have to spam at least use actual sentences. that was just gibberish.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby corinal14 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:21 am

A passenger train is creeping along, slowly. Finally it creaks to a halt. A passenger sees a conductor walking by outside."What's going on?" she yells out the window."Cow on the track!" replies the conductor.Ten minutes later, the train resumes its slow pace.Within five minutes, however, it stops again.The woman sees the same conductor walk again.She leans out the window and yells, "What happened? Did we catch up with the cow again?"
corinal14

Return to Systems in the news