Going nuclear?

I guess the name speaks for its self.

Re: Going nuclear?

Postby Ercesuzan on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:01 pm

I live about 30 miles from Sellafield and have in fact been in the hall that is described in the radio piece in the course of my work. I think communities that are used to the nuclear industry for their living are more accepting of the technology and I suppose the potential risk as they already live with it on a daily basis.

The question is "do they store waste at an already nuclear friendly site or do they spread the potential problem to other areas of the UK into communities that are not used to it? "

It is an emotive subject and most people have an opinion.
All for now, take care
Ercesuzan

Postby jim_lewis1 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:22 pm

and does anyone really understand the risks anyway? No doubt prior to the gulf of mexico disaster or Chernobyl, people thought the benefits outweighed the risks. Perhaps they feel differently now.

We're not very good at assessing a highly unlikely event, no matter how big the consequences. It's unlikely, IE won't happen. Knowing the potential and the waste legacy, is there any argument for perpetuating and increasing our dependence on nuclear fuels?

Assessments of the actual amount of carbon dioxide produced in connection with nuclear energy are quite variable. At present with reliance on fossil fuels to power mining, processing, transportation, construction of reactors, decontamination and dismantling, plus processing, transportation and storage of wastes, the contribution of nuclear to CO2 is not negligible.

Committing the vast sums of money required to this centralised power source is definitely limiting the development of alternative, truly renewable energy sources.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Teiana on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:24 pm

oh well there's no need to worry. only this week, my tabloid newspaper was pronouncing the ozone layer fixed...

so clearly everything is going to be All Right.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Previous

Return to Systems in the news