Wikileaks

I guess the name speaks for its self.

Wikileaks

Postby jamesWtc on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:39 am

So, we have heard so much about the Wikileaks in the news these days... It seems different people have different opinions. So, share your thought. :)
jamesWtc

Re: Wikileaks

Postby Teiana on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:44 am

the people who collect this information in the first place, the politicians and stuff, well, they oughtn't to be so naive as to think it won't all come out. They should try and operate in as 'safe' a way as possible ( such as using and handling sensitive information in a way that means if it does come out, there is a limitation to the damage that will be caused).
Publishing this stuff? well i don't think generally you can criminalise people for revealing what they know, or for having an opinion. I don't agree that it should have been published, but i don't think you can generalise that those that have published it have committed any offence by doing so. However if they have committed a crime in order to Get the information, that's different. I don't know if they did or not. It's only wrong to reveal stuff if by doing so you are acting against your own previous signature on some official secrets act document.. other than that it's a moral issue not a criminal one.
I saw hilary clinton bravely talking about how <not her words, but the general idea> we were all adults and there was nothing to see here, everyone knew about this stuff anyway... trying to deflect attention from it..
i figure that principle is right although it was slightly funny to watch politicians squirm a bit.

the more information we store, the worse the fallout is likely to be when it gets into the wrong hands. I'd love to think this would cause a shift in approach towards us all storing less information about everyone, generally. We're getting obsessed by it. In the 'olden days' a negative comment would have been forgotten a week later..

if we don't get a change in approach, surely it will spiral forever.

A: says something
B: writes down what A said
A: writes down that B wrote down what A said, and writes down what A said, just to be safe.
B: now has to write down that A wrote down that B wrote down what A said... etc
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Do people remember our brief discussion on "information asymmetry" a while back?.... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=382

For me, wikis in general, and wikileaks in particular, are a killer tool against the entrenched and destructive elite. Secrecy is rarely used to help the most marginalised, whereas it is almost always used to sustain people in positions of power.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby jim_lewis1 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:45 pm

absolutely, I think having information in the public domain is generally in everypne's interest, although obviously it makes the covert operators life difficult when the curtain drops mid play.

However, I think Teiana is right when she says that the likely outcome of this is that less will be recorded. That has to be a negative as government officals, politicians etc. will be able to deny everything safe in the knowledge that there is no record.

I also think the apparent smear campaign against Assange is deplorable, I'm surprised they didn't just go for the usual and accuse him of paedophilia.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Return to Systems in the news